OK . . . where is everybody ???

For general discussion about Alcan boats
Rob

OK . . . where is everybody ???

Post by Rob »

Catherine Ann is ready for summer . . . . where is everybody ???
Attachments
DSC_0453.JPG
Terry

Re: OK . . . where is everybody ???

Post by Terry »

Not even in the water yet. :cry:

Can't believe how big the engine compartment in this boat is. After taking out the genny and two biggass diesels I've got room for a hot tub and a nine hole golf course. Supposed to be two 4 cyl volvos going in tomorrow and hope to be in the water this weekend (about 3 weeks later that scheduled)

Don't feel we've missed much weather-wise but very anxious just the same.

Plans for another rendezvous this year?
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Terry - what is losing all that weight going to do to the boat? You may need the weight of that hot tub to keep the nose up? Whatever will you do now that you won't have the diesel perfume to breath? All that fresh air can be hard on the lungs.

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
49thdiver

Post by 49thdiver »

I am just new on board but there does not seem to be a lot of activity.
Interesting place however.
We have 37 from 1972, twin ford lehman diesels.Image
Peter
"Lets go diving"
37ft Alwest, Twin Ford Lehman diesel, Volvo 280 Stern drives
On board scuba compressor, rebuilt as dive boat
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Buster has been in the water since late April. It hasn't been great boating so far this year, but the long weekend is looking good so far.
Terry

Post by Terry »

GOVAN wrote:Terry - what is losing all that weight going to do to the boat? You may need the weight of that hot tub to keep the nose up? Whatever will you do now that you won't have the diesel perfume to breath? All that fresh air can be hard on the lungs.

Brian - SIOUX
I might take up smoking again.

You and I are the only ones who seem concerned about that weight/ballast thing. Everyone I've talked to says don't worry, but I don't know...

Our fresh water and black water tanks are both forward too.

I guess adding some temporary ballast would be fairly easy (5 gallon pails of water) but we'll see how it goes at sea trials (hopefully tomorrow) :)
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Regarding the trim thing, I think you may getting your boat back to design weight. The most common engine configuration was the twin inline-6 engines and they only weighed 650lb each with stern-drives. Even lighter was the single V-8 option that would have weighed in less than 1,100lb. All the modern engines and legs appear to be heavier than the older configuration. So a couple of smaller 4-cyl engines may be just about right. I don't know how much battery they originally carried, but my experience with other boats says that they are normally very lightly equipped. Even with the generator removed, Buster is still heavier than original with the V-6 engines and 4 golf-cart batteries.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Terry,

I agree with David that you are probably getting back to "design weight" after all the things that get added over the years. The problem might be the fore/aft balance at rest. This won't likely be a problem underway, since the bow rises naturally. We fight a never-ending battle on Catherine Ann to keep from being bow heavy at the dock. But, if I had room aft, much of the junk that collects in the forward hold could go into bins in the "engine room" which would be a double benefit, removing from the bow and adding to the stern.

As an "aside" . . . . on an Alwest with no scupper openings . . . if the deck drains from around the bow hatch plug up . . . and the bow is low . . . and it rains a lot . . . the bow gets lower and lower and the forward hold fills faster and faster . . . until it is full to deck level :shock: BTW, the boat still floats, but it would be an ideal time to do outdrive maintenance :-).
Terry

Post by Terry »

I hope you're right.

My boat doesn't have that sealed bulkhead that some of you do, so if my drain holes get plugged up water works it's way into the bilge rather than collect in that in that forward hold. Not sure if that's an ideal situation but it helps when you want to "air the boat out". Any wind blows right through with the hatch open and the stairs raised.

Sure wish we were in the water to try it. Are all marine mechanics trained in Mexico? :(
Hope to launch Monday. :roll:
Terry

Post by Terry »

FINALLY ready to go.
MasterCard III will be towed to Peterborough early tomorrow morning, some last minute adjustments, put the fly bridge back on and hopefully make a splash around noon.
Can't wait as it has been a very anxious first half of the season.
I'll keep you posted as to our successes with the Big Show.
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Terry

Inquiring minds want to know how things went. Is Mastercard III back in service, or are there some serious words flying around the household?

I remember my own repower and the launch took a little coersion on my part to push it over the edge.

Hope all is well
David
Terry

Post by Terry »

Everything went (kinda) according to plan. Someone forgot the oil pan plug on the starboard engine, but we noticed the problem right away and there doesn't appear to be any damage. The 4 cylinder 130HP Volvos run very quiet but don't really seem to like idle. We've have a few stalls at the wrong times. Brian and I were right about being bow heavy with all that loss of weight so we're still tinkering with that. So far we've added about 300 lbs in that (now) cavernous engine compartment and think we're getting pretty close.
Did I mention a 4 lite oil spill in a bow heavy boat? Yeah, now I'll be spending the rest of the summer cleaning up that mess. I've already spent more money on bilge socks than I have in fuel.
Went from Volvo 250 outdrives up to the 280's too.
The boat seems faster and a lot more responsive and overall we're really happy.
Bring on Summer!

Serious words? Cindy invented three new ones.