Operators Licence

For general discussion about Alcan boats
Terry

Operators Licence

Post by Terry »

A general question here.
Everybody needs their Operators Licence but is there any restrictions as to size of boat you can operate? 50ft? 60ft?
Strictly for pleasure (not commercial) use.
Anybody know for sure?
Terry

Re: Operators Licence

Post by Terry »

I found the answer and you might want to use the question in a Trivia night while boating. You would be surprised at all the different (and wrong) answers I got from those who think they are "in the know".
According to Transport Canada, your operators license allows you to operate any pleasure craft of any size. No limits.
And to think you can get this online with all the reference material (or friends help) you need with you. My advice is the same as driving my car... assume that everyone else knows absolutely nothing about what they are doing out there. Look after yourself.
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Terry

I have to ask. Why did you want to know? Are you thinking of getting a bigger boat? Here is one for only $126K http://www.scrutonmarine.com/PV2175.htm

David
Terry

Post by Terry »

Question came up one night in one of those beer inspired conversations about everything and nothing. We had a bunch of Admirals, Rear Admirals, Captains, Commanders and such pontificating about all things nautical and/or otherwise.
Don't need a bigger boat (yet), I'm really enjoying ours with the new engines and am going to feel bad about putting here away in a few weeks. Now when I leave the dock, I know I'm coming back. :wink:
Cindy says if we ever get another boat, it will be one of these: http://www.nordictugs.com/