2011 Rendezvous Planning

For general discussion about Alcan boats
Rob

2011 Rendezvous Planning

Post by Rob »

It would be really nice to get a number of boats together for a true Alcan/Alwest/Alloy/& Relatives Rendezvous.
The St Lawrence 1000 Islands is home to several of us and a good vacation destination for many others.
We could make a "long weekend" out of this with several linked activities such as a gathering at Trident Yacht Club, a group dinner at a restaurant in Gananoque, a guided boat tour amongst the islands, a raft -up anchor out, etc. The second weekend in August seems like as good a target as any.

Thoughts ?? Comments ?? Other Ideas ??
dpearson

Re: 2011 Rendezvous Planning

Post by dpearson »

I am totally in to the idea. One of the suggestions from my Mother is that at one Rendezvous, you should publish the date of the next Rendezvous. This totally eclipses my usual 2 week planning horizon, but I am game to try it out.

Your suggestion of a date is consistent with past years and would put the next Rendezvous on the weekend of August 13-14, 2011. In case you didn't know, we have historically scheduled the Rendezvous for the weekend after the 1000 Islands Poker Run. It allowed us to watch the Poker Run from our home port in Brockville and then take a leisurely cruise to wherever the Rendezvous was held. As a side note, the 1000 Islands Poker Run coincides with the Brockville Rib-Fest, which makes for a spectacular event, but is not paricularly compatible with a Rendezvous.

To build on your idea, I would consider starting the Rendezvous schedule on the Friday afternoon. That should allow us to establish a base somewhere in the islands. The base should include dockage/anchorage for the boats, and nearby camping for those interested. Given the "no reservations" policy of the federal parks, we would need to be a little flexible as to where we actually ended up. We would also need to run some sort of shuttle to and from shore for those arriving by car. Anyone with a boat could help out with that.

It is making me start to think about next Summer already. This could be a good way to survive the Winter.

Just some thoughts.
David
Rob

Re: 2011 Rendezvous Planning

Post by Rob »

Building on this idea . . . .
Mulcaster is a Park Island (with camping facilities) surrounded by a number of good anchorages and within a 3 minute dinghy run to the Glen House, which is a mainland motel and restaurant just east of Gananoque. This combination could come together to meet everyone's preferences.