Trailering an Alwest

For general discussion about Alcan boats
hummbug

Trailering an Alwest

Post by hummbug »

Hello everyone. Im a new member and a new Alwest owner. We bought the boat last November. When we bought her she was the RAINDEER. Scince then we have renamed her DONNA KAY. I seen pictures of her in boats for sale on the Alcan web site after we bought her.We have done quite a bit of maintenance to her this year but we would like to put her on a trailer in our yard this fall to sand,reseal and paint the topside and do some work on the inside as well. Im wondering if anyone has had any do'es or dont's experiences with trailering an Alwest. I have gotten a lot of good info from all of you on the forums and really appreciate being able to join up. Some of the questions I have are about the weight distribution so i dont get a trailer thats to short with the axels to far forward or back. And how much can safely hang off the back of the trailer. Also, with what ive seen here about the keel. do the bunks need to be in a certain place to support the bottem of the boat on either side of the keel. Or is it even safe to leave her on the trailer.The DONNA KAY is a 1972 Alwest and has two Vovo 4-cyl/Volvo 290 SPs'.So im asuming shes a little lighter in the stern than some of the others but on two diferent travel lifts i was told between 10,000 and 11,000 lbs and the other one said just under 12,000 lbs. So its not a lot lighter in total weight.Thanks in advance for any info on this subject. Warren Styles, Milton Washington
Rob

Re: Trailering an Alwest

Post by Rob »

Hi Warren,

Welcome to the world of Alcan boats and specifically Alwests.
Please see the article in the website Tech section on blocking an Alwest for winter storage.
http://www.alcanboats.com/dry_land_storage.htm
Of particular note is the "editor's comment" about supporting most of the weight on the chines.
After noting this comment and then watching my boat (the one in the pictures) being placed onto the blocks,
I completely agree with David. Unlike most boats . . . An Alwest should NOT be supported along the keel.
I would think that any sort of trailer should pick up on the chines and never on the keel or hull skin.
The last picture with the boat in the lifting slings will give you a sense of the fore/aft balance point.
(Since this is a single point crane lift and the boat remains level, the balance point is the midpoint between the slings)
Your data on boat weight is very interesting. Donna Kay is very close to the original spec weight at < 12,000 lbs.
Catherine Ann is now much heavier than this with her many additions and weighs in at 15,000 lbs,
but still floats level so the balance point would be the same.

Rob
hummbug

Post by hummbug »

Thanks for the reply Rob. I ve seen the pictures of your boat and the things you have done to it and I can tell you have a lot of knowledge about the design of these boats. Just last week I located a trailer that was made for this boat back in 1994. I had some pictures of it that came on the boat but ithe trailer itself was nowhere to be found. Anyways, I went and seen the trailer and took some measurements. Its approx 34' long from the hitch to the end of the bunks. Side to side its 8' wide wich would put them inside the chines by at least 6 inches I would think without seeing it on the trailer. Im going to try to take some more measurements of the boat today or tomorrow. Apparently The Donna Kay spent all her winters on this trailer between 1994 and 2002 and they hauled her from Seattle to southern Oregon and back each year (about 500 miles) without any problems. On the weight issue I suspect the Donna Kay is front heavy because of the things that were added forward of the center balence point and the weight that was lost due to smaller engines. Plus she seems to plow when i try to get her over 7 - 8 mph. thanks again for the reply and all the other info I have gotten from your previose contributions to this website . Warren
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Warren,

If the trailer supports happen to pick up the longitudinal box section reinforcements, this might be OK as well.
If this boat has been on this trailer many times before, as you describe, it is likely OK.
I would like to see pictures.
When I purchased Catherine Ann, I had her trucked by a standard marine hydraulic trailer that did pick up the boat on the flat aluminum underside of the hull. There was no damage done.

Rob
hummbug

Post by hummbug »

Hi Rob, The pics that I have came with the boat. I'm sure I could scan them into the computer and send them. Where would I send them to? Warren
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Warren,
I would appreciate seeing the pictures.
(I am contemplating construction of a yard trailer/steel cradle for Catherine Ann)
Please send to rob.farrow@sympatico.ca
Thanks
Rob