boat trailer

For general discussion about Alcan boats
rb1

boat trailer

Post by rb1 »

Hi I have finalized the purchase of the 37 alcan. I am now going to build a trailer for her I am starting with a 30 ft 9000 lb tandem trailer first I will add a third axle then lengthen the trailer to 41 ft my plan for the bunks, are two 6x8 hemlock 16 ft that means 37 ft boat resting on 16 ft of lumber does anyone think it is not enough. I don't intend to let the boat rest on the keel.I am looking to center the axle to the boat and achieve 400 to 700 lb tong weight I have to get this right for I will not be-able to move the axle once it is welded .Any help offered will be greatly appreciated. Thank Robert
Rob

Re: boat trailer

Post by Rob »

Hi Robert,

A couple of us have been doing quite a bit of work this winter on a trailer design for an Alwest 370.
But, the hull of an Alcan 370 is quite a bit different than the hull of an Alwest 370.
We can certainly share what we have come up with for the Alwest, but you should study the Alcan blueprints on the website to make sure that your trailer picks up with the strong points of the hull. BTW, an Alcan has a substantial keel structure, it is the Alwest that does not. An important consideration in the design of the trailer is how you will load and unload the boat. If this will always be with a crane or travel lift, the trailer will be different than if you want to load/unload at a boat ramp.
Another important consideration is how far you are planning to tow. A yard trailer can be much simpler than a highway trailer.
An Alcan or an Alwest (without a flybridge) on a trailer usually comes very close to the 13.5 foot maximum height for towing on public roads. You need to keep an eye on this as well.

Rob
hummbug

Post by hummbug »

Hi Robert, My name is Warren. I going through the same process as you. I even started out looking to upgrade a two axel trailer... I decided to have one built instead. I guess I took the easy way out... Anyways, I hope to load the Donna Kay on a trailer soon. When I do i will let you know where my balence point is. As it is the center axel is at 10' from the back. It's possible that I will have to move the boat back to get the tounge weight correct. Our trailer is 40' long. Warren. warsty@comcast.net
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

I have my 69 Alcan 37 on a new triple axle aluminum trailer (see pictue at teh bottom of the "I think I'm in love" thread on this forum). I bought it new for $7,000 USD delivered. Made for salt water - all aluminimum/ stainless construction - Its rated at 18,000 lbs and 40'. Electric/Hydraulic brakes on all wheels.

I set the boat up based upon an approximated balance point. I have yet to move the boat with the trailer (I set it in place with a crane) . I have been trying to devise a way to figure out he tongue weight so that I can finalize the position and finish setting up the trailer. Best thought I had thus far was to get a hydrualic cylinder with a presuure gauge and calculate the weight. I have not done ant shopping for a cylinder yet. Does anyone have an other idea on measuring the weight?

I have to go ~5 mile by highway to get to my launch point and I plan to hire someone with a truck to move it. I am not sure if I am going to worry about measuring the tongue weight for now. I plan to launch this @ April.

Walt
rb1

Post by rb1 »

Hi Warren I have decided how I will build my trailer. I am going to extend my trailer to 41 ft,then put 4 axles under it and the bunk will be 22 ft. It will need 40 acres to turn, but it is only a yard trailer and with 4 axles I wont have to worry about the tongue weight. Thanks for the info Regards Robert
rb1

Post by rb1 »

Hi Walt I seen the trailer you bought it is a good looking trailer and you should get many years of use from it. Are you going to launch the boat with a crane or a travel lift. Regards Robert
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Walt,

Tongue weight is relatively easy to measure. All you need is a jack stand and a long bar or timber. Place the timber on the jack stand and under the tongue. Move the jack stand closer (or further) from the trailer until your body weight on the long end of the lever will lift the tongue. For example if you weigh 200 lbs, have a 10 ft bar and can lift the tongue when the jack stand is 2 ft from the trailer . . . tongue weight is 800 lbs. 200 lbs x 8 ft = 800 lbs x 2 ft. This can be done to any level of accuracy. If you weigh 175 lbs and have to place the stand 17" from the trailer the equation still works the same 175 lbs x 103 in = tongue weight x 17 in. Tongue weight is 1060 lbs.

Rob
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

You rock Rob!
Attachments
I love Archemedes :
I love Archemedes :
220px-Archimedes_lever_(Small).jpg (16.05 KiB) Viewed 13690 times
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

Robert,

The plan is to take it to Dataw Marina in SC (USA) and have them bottom paint it and then travel lift it into the Morgan River. I may try launch and retrieve at a ramp down the road. For now, I need a little help putting it all together.

I think before I do the launch I may try Rob's lever trick - problem is I work away from the boat (and home) and can't play with it nightly.

Walt
rb1

Post by rb1 »

Hi Walt The travel lift is the safest way to put your boat in and out. Boat launches are alright but a travel lift will put your boat on the trailer right where you want it ever time just so much easier. Have a good day Robert
Rob

Post by Rob »

Great picture Walt !
Yeah . . . just like Archemedes did it.
Rob
rb1

Post by rb1 »

Hi Rob and Walt I ordered the steel to start the trailer I would like to sent a photo of what I starting with but haven't been able to figure out how to post it yet any help. Robert
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

Robert,

The way I have uploaded attachemtns on the forum:

_ Click "POST REPLY" to start your entry
_ At the botttom of the text entry window there are "OPTIONS" and "UPLOAD ATTACHMENT" tabs. Click the
"UPLOADE ATTACHMENT" Tab
_ Click "BROWSE" to navigate to the file you want to uplaod
_ Select the file and click "ADD THE FILE"

That should do it.

Good luck, Walt
rb1

Post by rb1 »

This will be the first 24 ft .robert
Attachments
DSC03909.JPG
rb1

Post by rb1 »

Thanks Walt great instructions I will post the back have latter. Robert
Rob

Post by Rob »

Robert,

The Alcan 370 Blueprints on the main website at http://www.alcanboats.com/blueprint_thumbs.htm
will give you all the boat dimensions required to modify your trailer to fit your boat.

Rob