Alcan 290 Window Weatherstripping

For general discussion about Alcan boats
bigrideau

Alcan 290 Window Weatherstripping

Post by bigrideau »

My parents have owned an Alcan 290 (L'il Peace II) for a number of years and are doing a major restore on it. Has anyone replaced the weatherstripping (glass run channels) and can tell me where these can be purchased?
I will add their information to the registry once they provide me with all of the details.
Rob

Re: Alcan 290 Window Weatherstripping

Post by Rob »

Most Alcan windows were built by Belclawat in Montreal. They have since move to Belleville Ontario.
Great people to deal with and they still have all the rubber and fabric parts to rebuild the windows.
Several years ago, Liam (who may or may not still be there) helped me sort out what I needed to rebuild all my windows.
Find them on the internet and they will likely solve your rebuild parts concerns.
(I would ask for Liam . . . if I were calling them for assistance)

Rob
bigrideau

Post by bigrideau »

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the reply. I read the reference to Beclawat in the Technical Forum that was posted July 9. My father called Beclawt in Belleville last week and was told that they do not have the weatherstripping nor could they order it. I will give him Liam's name and see if he can assist. He was asking for the universal type flexible channel with inner corregated steel core. Is this correct?

Vicki
Rob

Post by Rob »

I am a little surprised at the response from Beclawat. I have dealt with them twice on window parts and although their normal business is with larger customers, they were willing to supply what I needed. With a little bit of digging, I think I can find the paperwork that went with my purchases. If I can find Beclawat part numbers for the parts that you need, this might help.
As I recall, the part that you describe is called the "glass run channel" even though it carries an aluminum extrusion in the window design used on Alcans and Alwests. I am away from where my old paperwork is filed, so will get back to you next week if I can find this information.

Rob
bigrideau

Post by bigrideau »

My apologies for not replying as I was away.

That would be great if you could find the part number and he make another attempt. My father said they have not sold that size for some time.

He is looking into a possibility of a place in New York State that may be able to order the weatherstripping, even though they do not sell it, but the minimum order would have to be 1,000 feet. If this is the only alternative, he would welcome anyone who would be interested in buying some. It would be cheaper than purchasing new windows.

Vicki
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Vicki

It took me awhile to find my Beclawat invoices . . .

Run Channel = Beclawat 40053 Flexchannel Blk
Seal Around Glass = Beclawat 20374 Fulcrum Rubber-86H30, 739-H30-746
Glass Seal Tape = Beclawat Butyl Tape Black B-RT-1/8*3/8
Wiper Strip = Beclawat 20435 Weather Seal - Canada Rubber PO275

Hope this helps
Rob
Last edited by Rob on Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I contacted Beclawat and have been assured that all the parts that I used to restore my windows, are still available.
Please contact Brandon Reid (613-966-5611 ext 243) at Beclawat, if you need parts for your windows.

Rob
bigrideau

Post by bigrideau »

Rob,

Thank you so much for your troubles in locating the invoices. My parents will be sure to contact Brandon.

They are not able to attend the rendezvous this year, but hopefully next year they will be able to meet you.

Vicki