Alcan Boat St. Lawrence rendezvous?

For general discussion about Alcan boats
dpearson

Alcan Boat St. Lawrence rendezvous?

Post by dpearson »

Folks

I would like to pick a date for an innaugural get-together of Alcan housecruisers on the St. Lawrence. Between New York and South-Eastern Ontario there appears to be around 15 to 20 of these boats. If we even had 3 or 4 together, I bet it would start some sort of tradition. I propose the weekend of August 25/26 somewhere near Gananoque. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.
David
K. Forrest

Rendezvous

Post by K. Forrest »

The rendezvous sounds like fun. If we have not sold "Our Cottage" who knows we may be interested.
Joe and Kathy Forrest
Terry

Post by Terry »

Great job on the site David! Love the idea of the forum.

The MasterCard III won't be able to make it to your rendezvous but keep us posted as Cindy and I might take a drive down to meet everyone.

We'll be cruising between Peterborough and Buckhorn for the August and September long weekends if any of you guys want to get together for a pop and some lies.
Rob

Post by Rob »

We can hardly refuse a rendevous in the Gananoque area since this is where you can find Catherine Ann on almost every weekend. Sounds like a plan for Aug 25/26.

The forum is a great idea!
I look forward to participating.
Robert Stork

Post by Robert Stork »

David,

Thanks for all your work. We are unfortunately quite a boat distance away in Parry Sound, but we intend to start our move back down the Trent next year, and look forward to connecting with everyone.

Robert Stork
Eboness

Rendezvous

Post by Eboness »

Hi Everyone,
Great idea David, I wish the crew of Eboness could be there but a cross country cruise would be difficult, the Rockies and all. In 1988 I organized a Alcan/Alwest Rendezvous and had 12 boats meet in Centre Bay, Gambier Island Howe Sound. We had a blast and as usual all the skippers show'd off their boats. Might do that again next year as a twenty year reunion. David, you might consider for a future cruise, allowing Alwests to join in.
Will be doing some more upgrades to Eboness this year, interior wise, so will send new pictures later. Have a great summer everyone :D

Patrick & Lorraine
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Patrick

Good to know a rendezvous may work. With respect to your comment about potentially allowing Alwests, I hope I did not appear exclusive in my invitation. My own boat is an Alwest and I hope to attend. Just to be clear, this rendezvous is open to: Alcan, Alwest, Chimo, Alloy, Sea Villa and anything else the boat owner thinks looks a little like these housecruisers. I would even accept a 2007 Searay 540 if the owner believed he had bought an Alcan housecruiser.

Looking forward to pictures of your upgrades.

David
Eboness

Rendezvous

Post by Eboness »

Hi David,
After re-reading your invitation you are right, it does invite all Housecruiser types, sorry. As I've stated before, I think, I know your Mom and Dad from my Burrard Power Squadron days. Your Dad gave me a copy of the Alwest sales information and I gave him a copy of the same for Alcans. I keep both on board for all those, "What a great boat, Who makes it" questions. I have a request, is it possible to have a link back to the website from this forum. I can't seem to find it if it's here. :?:

Take care,

Patrick & Lorraine.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Patrick,
I just realized that Eboness is an Alcan rather than an Alwest. This might also be a factor inthe difference in weight between Eboness (Alcan) and Catherine Ann (Alwest).

David,
I agree with Patrick's comment on linking back to the website, I always have to go out and come back in again . . . . . but then again, I am really a novice at website/forums/etc.

Rob
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Patrick

Yes, you know my parents. They are the owners of Quadrium. We were all members of Burrard Squadron prior to its demise.

Rob, Patrick, et al

I will look at the code for the forum and see if I can put in a link back to the web site home. I would also like to implement an email based solution as I doubt everyone will log in to the web site on a daily basis to check for messages, but they might check for email.

David
Rob

Post by Rob »

David,
I am already getting email messages when an update to something I am "tracking" happens on the forum.
I might just make this my homepage :D
Terry

RENDEZVOUS

Post by Terry »

How's the plans coming along for the August 25th Alcanpalooza?

Still might be able to make it down overland but if we can't, make sure lots of pics get taken and posted.

I think we're back up at Reach Harbour on Lower Buckhorn for Labour Day weekend if any of you guys from that neighbourhood want to get together. What say you Joe/Kathy, Bert/Rose, Deitmar, Friendship?
Speaking of Friendship... couldn't find her on Stoney Lake last weekend. Whereabouts are you?
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Terry et al

The plans seem to be coming together. I have had a few positive responses and will continue with the idea. I will finalize times and places shortly and send an update to everyone. I am still keeping the idea of holding the event in the Gananoque area. If we end up in the islands, I will give you contact info so someone could pick you up from shore.

David
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Gang

Plans are solidifying for the 1st annual St. Lawrence Alcan Boat rendezvous. The official start time is noon Saturday (25 August), ending 11:00 Sunday (26 August). The plan is to gather in the Gananoque area. I am planning the following activities

1) Boat Show Saturday afternoon. Check out the other Alcan/Alwest, whatever and see how the past and current owners have modified, updated them.

2) official group photo. Sometime around 4:00 Saturday, I would like to get all of the boats and all of the crews together for a group shot.

3) Potluck dinner, around 6:00 Saturday. I will be cooking Bratwurst and Italian sausages on Buster's BBQ. Buster will supply the sausages, buns and condiments. If others could bring snacks, salads, deserts, then we would have a complete meal. Please let me know what you are bringing so I can avoid excessive duplication.

4) No particular time, some sort of entertainment. I have a radio controlled float-plane I fly off my boat. Makes for an enteraining 10 minutes. If anyone else has RC boats, planes, etc or other form of entertainment, bring it along.

Now for the question: Should I attempt to find shore based marina facilities, or is everyone OK taking our chances in the islands? There are hundreds of spots in the Gananoque ares islands where we could raft either at a Park dock or in a sheltered anchorage. I am happy with any of the above.

Cheers
David
Rob

Post by Rob »

David,

Catherine Ann will be there.
How many boats are you expecting ?
Either shore based or island anchorage is fine with us.
We do have 2 dogs who tend to wander from boat to boat in a raft up
(which may not be OK with everyone)
More to follow on what we can add to the dinner . . . . .
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Folks

I have been remiss in solidifying plans for the Alcan boat rendezvous. Given 3 facts:
1) We have people arriving by non-marine means
2) The weather is expected to be less than optimal
3) At least one of the participants has pets that will need access to shore
I conclude that a shore-based rendezvous is in our best interests.

I am expecting up to 5 boats and 7 crews, but only 3 boats and 4 crews have confirmed. I have made a reservation at Gananoque Municipal Marina for Saturday night for the 3 confirmed boats (Buster, Catherine Ann, My Cottage) and have been informed that there is space available for additional boats if required

David
Rob

Post by Rob »

David et al:

Sounds like a plan is coming together !
Catherine Ann will be there.
Now . . . back to the food question.
Cathy makes a great potato salad (unless there is already one of these in the plan) Anything else that we can bring ?

Cathy & Rob
Terry

Gananoque rendezvous

Post by Terry »

Crew from the good ship MasterCard III will be there with bells on. We'll be travelling overland so will meet you dockside around noon.
A big shrimp platter is in the works for afternoon snacks.
Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Terry

Rendezvous

Post by Terry »

Well?
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

A deep subject:)

We managed to get together with 3 boats and 4 crews, but not all at the same time. We should also count the new owners of an Alcan 37 who showed up by land only to find noone around as we had moved out into the islands to escape the wind. I am compiling pictures and a bit of a report to be posted on the site in the next day or so.

Cheers
David
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Diary and pictures of the 2007 Alcan Boat St. Lawrence Rendezvous are posted on the web site. Check out
http://www.alcanboats.com/2007_st__lawr ... ezvous.htm

I thank those who expressed interested and/or showed up and apologize to those that may have shown up when we were not in the Gananoque Marina. There appears to be enough interest from Alcan Boat enthusiasts to suggest that we should possibly make this a regular event.

David