Alcanboats Rendezvous 2014

For general discussion about Alcan boats
dpearson

Alcanboats Rendezvous 2014

Post by dpearson »

Folks

We came away from the 2013 Rendezvous with an idea that we might want to get a little adventurous next year. Barb and Dan Edsall suggested that we might like to hold the event in the Georgian Bay area. They have suggested their home port of St. Amant's Waterfront Inn & Restaurant (http://www.stamants.ca/). The plan would be similar to other years in that we would hold the event on the 3rd weekend in August (Aug 16-17, 2014).

Let me know what you think of the idea.

Also, if anyone is interested in an Alcanboat flotilla up the Trent-Severn, this would be a good time to start organizing.

Cheers
David
wayne

Re: Alcanboats Rendezvous 2014

Post by wayne »

I think it is a great Idea and that we might make boat and all LOL
ajbrooke40

Post by ajbrooke40 »

Britt in 2014 would be great. Our Seavilla 40 is at Wright's Marina just down stream from St. Amants. St. Amants is a great place with lots of dockage, a good grocery, restaurant, fuel and LCBO outlet. Anything we can do to make this happen please get in touch.

John Brooke B...F...B...
Britt
limitless

Post by limitless »

Hello. It's that time of the year to wrap up another short season of boating! Love the new look David, the website that is! Hope you got more boating in after our visit to the Alcan Rendezvous. We are up at Britt this weekend and gave the people here at St. Amants the heads up for next summer. You might want to post a link to their website so that those that are interested can take a look at the marina and plan their vacation for next summer! Beautiful sceneries here!! If there is any thing we can do to assist you please do not hesitate to contact us.
Barb/Dan
Attachments
image.jpg
limitless

Post by limitless »

Some Georgian Bay Shots!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
swcyr

Post by swcyr »

I was looking at the map and realized how far that is for a weekend from "the South". We will decide closer to the date as it will also be weather dependent of course. Are you taking the boat to Georgian Bay this year? hence the flotilla up the Trent? Let me know soon so that we can plan to join in if Steve is off on holidays. He starts July 21 for 2 weeks but it looks like he may have another couple of weeks off.

Wendy Cyr
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Hi Wendy

Our current plan is to have Buster up in Georgian Bay for the rendezvous, but I also want to do some boating on the Bay and don't really want to do the canal again. So... we are planning on trucking the boat to Orillia in the first week of August and then heading up to the Bay for at least a week up in the area. The return trip will end at Orillia and the boat goes back on the truck to get back home to Rideau Lake.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) wants to join us for any of the trip, we are still a little flexible on dates. The only constraint right now is that we need to be back in Ottawa by August 20th, so our return to Orillia will need to be relatively brisk.

Cheers
David
wayne

Post by wayne »

If we can manage the time we would consider joining you in Oriilia and travelling with you if you would not mind as our boat should be near the narrows at my sisters about that time and how much time do we need to return assuming we can hit 25 ish in open water my wife has to be back in TO for work on the 19th
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Hi Wayne

A flotilla from Orillia would be great. Do you have any constraints on dates? We are very flexible right now, but will get less so as we get closer to the time. My range of departure dates from Orillia is Aug 9th to Aug 11th, with earlier dates being preferred. Your need to be back in Toronto for the 19th aligns well with our own travel dates.

With respect to speed, it will only matter for the stretch from Port Severn to Britt. It is about 60 miles of open water. There are lots of places to stop, but if the wind is up we can count on quite a ride. My hope is to get started early in the morning and do a quick run up the exposed water before the wind comes up. If we don't have good passage by the Friday, we will call on the local Alcanboaters to pick us up by land and transport us to the rendezvous. So, one way or another the event will work out.

Anyone else interested in joining?
swcyr

Post by swcyr »

Hi David,

No we won't be going up to Orillia this year. That's a good plan though. ( The trucking). That's what I suggested to Steve when we were talking about future trip on the Erie canal.
wayne

Post by wayne »

If all works well we could be in Orillia Aug 10 in the afternoon some time
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Hi All

The event is moving forward at its usual relaxed pace. St. Amant's is prepared to receive us, but we now need to know how many people may be showing up, how many need a room and how many need a slip for their boat. I would appreciate if you would either reply on the forum, or send an email to webmaster@alcanboats.com to let me know if you are attending. If you need a slip for your boat, or a room for the night, please contact St. Amant's at 705-383-2434.

I have updated the Rendezvous page (http://www.alcanboats.com/newsite_wordpress/rendezvous with a little more detail.

Our own cruise plans are solidified with a departure from Orillia on August 10th with arrival in Britt some time Friday afternoon (Aug 15).

Looking forward the cruise and the company.

David
barnacledave

Post by barnacledave »

Ahoy everyone!

We are Kathy and Dave, the new owners of the Alcan 370 formerly registered as "Join Custody" (now known as "Fairweather").
Hope to meet you all at the rendezvous, unfortunately we are coming by car as there's no engines in our boat yet.
wayne

Post by wayne »

We also are coming by car as my wife could not get the time off
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Hi Wayne

We will miss your company on the cruise, but I am glad you will be able to make the event. See you in Britt.

David
captain ron

Post by captain ron »

Wendy and myself will be driving, arriving between 11am and 12 noon in Brit.
pedro

Post by pedro »

We are Peter and Alice....the new owners of Alcan 370-Friendship. We hope to meet up with you all by noon on Aug.16, and will be arriving by car. See you all then!
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

For those that are still keenly on their way to Britt despite the weather, you will be pleased to know there are a few of us here. Buster got stranded in Pointe au Baril because of rough weather on the Bay, but her crew made it up to Britt with fixings for a nice lunch thanks to a convenient ride with Barb and Dan Edsall. It has been raining off and on through the morning, but getting lighter as the day passes. When you get to St. Amants, you may find us up in Room 12, or down on the Alcan 370 "Limitless" on the docks.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Just would like to say that my wife and I had a great time at the rendezvous. Met some great people and had a nice cruise aboard Limitless. Hope next year we will make it in our own boat.