help me identify this boat

For general discussion about Alcan boats
sandrin

help me identify this boat

Post by sandrin »

Hello ,

im regarding the idea of buying a good alcan project. i found this one near my place ( im in montreal, quebec) i did not have access to the boat because it's till Under wrap. But by judging the photo i have hard time to identify the model. the owner call it an alcan river cruiser 34.

but i cant find this model. i lean for a alcan 370 because the owner told me the superstructure is aluminium. the engine is a merc 305, so i guess it has been refitted at one point.This is likely a fresh water boat, i Wonder is there is a possibility of galvanic corrosion and if yes where should i look.
Attachments
front details
front details
side view
side view
font view
font view
dpearson

Re: help me identify this boat

Post by dpearson »

Hi Sandrin

Based on the pictures, I am guessing this is from the Alloy Manufacturing ship-yard in Montreal. They made a variety of boats of different lengths and layouts, and a number of them were one-off. They typically used the Sea-Villa model names for these boats. The outlines of the hull and superstructure are in keeping with their designs. However, there are elements from several different models that do not belong together. The door appears to be Aluminum from Beclawat as per original construction, but the windows are not. The windows may have been replaced at some point in the boat's history. There is a toe rail along the top edge of the aft-cabin that is similar to one used on the Alcan 290. I have not seen that on other boats until now. The aluminum plate around the bow was probably added at some point to increase free-board for rougher seas. This is a common modification for boats on the West coast. The Merc 305 could have been original. The Alloy literature includes both Volvo Penta and Mercruiser.

With respect to corrosion, it can occur almost anywhere. If the boat has ever been painted with a copper paint, or exposed to stray electric currents it can be very damaging. However, I have yet to see an Alcan/Alloy/Alwest with a serious corrosion problem, even in salt water. The most common places to corrode are areas where a small amount of water can collect and sit for a long time. This can occur around the corners of the deck, behind the superstructure walls, inside channels, etc.. Also, it was common for the hulls to be filled with spray foam. If there were any leaks, the foam can become quite waterlogged. I haven't seen related corrosion problems, but the conditions are right. The one other place to look is the shower sump. Most of these boats have the shower drain into a small chamber in the hull with a small pump. At the best of times, these are pretty yucky, but I have seen some real damage to the surrounding aluminum.

Assuming the boat was built in the 1970's, it has had a lot of years to be modified by various owners. Sometimes these makes the boat better, sometimes not so much. However, they were all solid platforms to work with and are pretty practical for our waters.

Let us know if you learn anything more.

Cheers
David
sandrin

Post by sandrin »

hello,

thanks for your answer i will verify the particular point you told me.

the engine is not a 305 but a 350 with alpha one. that's the reason i think it's a repower, i dont think there was alpha one outdrive in the time theses boats where made. maybe pre-alpha version. i will see soon.

bye
sandrin

Post by sandrin »

the boat has been sold to another fellow for 13000$ , the funny part has put it back on sale for 20 500$ ....

anyway, im still looking. but for those who are interested here some more picture
Attachments
$_23.JPG
sandrin

Post by sandrin »

some more picture
Attachments
144476837.jpg
144476600.jpg
144476377.jpg
Dancor

Post by Dancor »

Interesting I tried to buy this boat late 2012 but missed it by 2 days. It was located near Shawinigan, Quebec
I believe it is a Seavilla 32 foot as it is identical to the one we eventually purchased.
Had a nice trailer as well
Good buy at 20,000 with trailer better at 13000. Of course.
Dan
Dancor

Post by Dancor »

Interesting I tried to buy this boat late 2012 but missed it by 2 days. It was located near Shawinigan, Quebec
I believe it is a Seavilla 32 foot as it is identical to the one we eventually purchased.
Had a nice trailer as well
Good buy at 20,000 with trailer better at 13000. Of course.
Dan