370 questions

For general discussion about Alcan boats
pedro

370 questions

Post by pedro »

Have been following the forum for a while now, soaking in all the great info. I recently came across a 370 for sale and need some info in order to decide whether to make the purchase or not. The boat seems all original inside and both v6 motors I am told run. The exterior is another story with flaking peeling paint from top to bottom. Has anyone sand or soda blasted and what are the costs? What type of paints are required and also is the anti fouling paint required? I looked at it today and it seems to be in good condition but needs updating such as flooring upholstery window coverings etc. How bad would fuel costs be with the existing engines say just slow cruising for a day? Boat has great potential but would like to know what I would be up against. Thanks for any advice.
Pete
dpearson

Re: 370 questions

Post by dpearson »

Hi Pete
Welcome to the Alcanboats forum.

The peeling paint is a bit of a chronic problem for any aluminum boat. It is hard to get things to stick to aluminum. This is one of the reasons why you see a lot of working boats just finished in bare aluminum. I had the hull of my boat blasted and painted around 10 years ago to the tune of $10,000. I don't know what the blasting medium was (sand, glass, soda, etc). I had 5 coats of Interprotect applied below the waterline, then 2 coats of top-coat, followed by anti-fouling. I could have saved quite a bit of money by doing some things myself and using a cheaper paint system but, aside from a few chips here and there, I have to say it is still holding up well today. Most marine paints can be used on aluminum, but they will all have special instructions for prep. After my superstructure re-build I am still waiting to finish the topsides. I will probably end up doing the job myself as I am having trouble finding someone to take on the job.

With respect to anti-fouling paint, you will need it in most waters. If you apply anti-fouling paint, you need to make sure it is safe for aluminum. Regular copper-based paints will be very hard on the hull.

With respect to fuel costs, there are many variables. For my own boat, I have 2 cruising speeds (displacement at around 6mph, planing at around 25mph). I estimate the fuel consumption at around 4mpg displacement and 1.5mpg planing. The engines on my boat are relatively modern and have fuel injection, so may be slightly more economical to run than the older engines, but this should give you an idea.

The old Alcans have a lot of good qualities, which is why we like them. But they are not without their flaws. The youngest of the Alwests will turn 40 this year, so you can count on any of the boats needing some work. If you are not handy, you won't have much fun.

Cheers
David Pearson
Carp, ON
pedro

Post by pedro »

David thanks for the reply. I had one quote for sand blasting from the gunnel down for $1500. He said they use fine sand that wouldn't harm the aluminum but would leave texture for primer to adhere to. What are project Alcans going for these days? So I know if price is fair. I noticed the boat had no shore water hook up and was wondering where the storage tank is located.
Pete
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Pete

It is hard to put a price on a project boat. One rule of thumb that I use is that they have anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 lb of aluminum in them and at $0.90 per pound you get a scrap value of $4,500 to $9,000. If the project boat includes good running engines, controls, galley equipment, etc., these things can all factor into the value. Project Alwests seem to be more highly valued by the dive boat operators as they are easier to convert than the Alcans, but they all make pretty solid platforms for projects.

With respect to water systems, the shore water inlet was optional. If the boat does have one, it should be under a shield on the front of the pilothouse. The water tank is in different locations on different boats, and I only know for a few models.

David
pedro

Post by pedro »

Well I did it! Picking up "Friendship" in 2 - 3 weeks!
Attachments
I have my work cut out for me...but hopefully can use her "as is" this year...
I have my work cut out for me...but hopefully can use her "as is" this year...
052.jpg
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

Pete,

We have the same boat. I bought mine in 2012 and hand sanded the hull and reworked the inside for two years. I launched it last year and it has been my live aboard during the week in Charleston S.C. til last Friday. I just hualed her to get repowered with outboards :).....

If you're sand blasting you're doing it right. I sand blasted below the water line and put 3 coat of Inter Protect and two coats of Inter protect Plus.. Picture show before and after one year in Salt water.

Good luck!

Walt
Attachments
IMG_1957.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

One more (after one year in salt water)!
Attachments
WP_20140829_009[2].jpg
pedro

Post by pedro »

Well had the boat trucked to her new home and blocked up last week. Already have some vinyl plank flooring samples to decide from as unlike regular laminate flooring it is waterproof. Also have ordered some fabric samples for the upholstery. Blasting and paint will be a spring project as I have too much on the go at the moment. Will try to get some pics posted soon.