Hull shape

For general discussion about Alcan boats
dpearson

Hull shape

Post by dpearson »

We recently added a Sea Villa 32 to the web site http://www.alcanboats.com/running_free.htm. It appears to have an interesting hull shape with a piece welded over the regular hull to make a finer entry at the bow. It extends back to about the half-way point along the hull where it appears that it reverts to the modified-V. Does anyone have information about this modification? It might be something to consider for boats thinking about big water.
Rob

Post by Rob »

David,

I have examined exactly this additional hull section on another 32, so it is likely as originally maunufactured. My own theory is that this is added bouyancy to compensate for the weight of the flybridge. It is a constant battle on Catherine Ann (Alwest 370 with flybridge) to keep the bow higher than the stern. With nearly empty fuel and water tanks, water on the side decks flows forward ! Maybe I should add one of these "sub hulls" to raise the bow ! (Of course . . . a couple of big block V8s would work too :-)

Rob
Our Cottage

Hull shape

Post by Our Cottage »

The boat Running Free appears to have the same shape as Our Cottage. I would suggest that is the belly tank, which holds 100 gallons of water. I think it DOES contribute to more stable handling in rough water at the cost of fuel consumption, adding 1000 pounds to the boat.

By the way, on our last trip, going slow used 5.3 gph of fuel. Going on plane20-22mph got us 3.5 gph or 1.35 miles per gallon.

Joe
Joe
Our Cottage

hull shape

Post by Our Cottage »

Last line of my posting left out going slow as well as 20-22mph.

Joe
Joe
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Interesting that the shape is used to store water. I suspect that it also creates lift to allow the boat to plane more easily. It will also create a fine entry to absorb wave impact. It would be interesting to understand the design intent of the addition.
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Joe

You gave fuel consumption figures for slow running. How slow was slow? if you were running less than 6MPH it suggests that slow does not save money over fast. Can you correlate?

David
Our Cottage

Hull shape/fuel consumption

Post by Our Cottage »

David, slow would refer to our usual mix on the Trent Severn of 6mph in the slow zones and our slow of 8mph otherwise.
Joe