Re-powering

For general discussion about Alcan boats
LDoliner

Re-powering

Post by LDoliner »

We're having to bite the bullet and seriously consider repowering or selling our Alcan 37, "First Date". It's got old Buick engines & OMC outdrives that are just causing too much tension. Unfortunately, I'm not a mechanic.

Hence, I'm asking for advice. We've have a marina making up an estimate based on used OMC v-6 engines and either used Cobra outdrives or new Merc's. We'd be interested in both general advice and thoughts, and recommendations as to a marina or mechanic to approach. (We're based in Ottawa).

Any thoughts?

Gene
dpearson

Re: Re-powering

Post by dpearson »

Gene

As someone who has repowered an old Alwest, I can tell you that the answer to your question is "It depends". You will never make economic sense of repowering your boat, but having reliable engines makes boating a real pleasure. I am assuming you have considered the rebuild options as they are typically the better way to go, but with the old OMC drives I would definitely support the replacement option. If you are replacing the drives, it will mean cutting and possibly welding of the hull, so it won't matter too much which drive you chose, the work will be similar.

With respect to mechanics, my own experience was acceptable, but not perfect. My repower was done by Excel Marine in Brockville. The proprietor (Hal Zufelt) is a really good guy and very detail oriented, so in that regard he was a good choice. However, a repower is a big job and other work tended to interfere with getting my job done, so there were concerns about actually getting the boat back on the water. The end results were good.

With respect to engines and drives, I am very happy with the Volvo Penta V-6 engines and mostly happy with the Volvo Penta SX drives. The Cobra drives you suggest are basically identical to the SX, so with the right gearing and props you should get good results. I would avoid the smaller Alpha drives in the Merc line-up, but any of the Bravo drives should be a good choice.

I am not sure I am helping, but there you go.

David
LDoliner

Post by LDoliner »

Thank you for the prompt response. It helps.
sandrin

Post by sandrin »

hello,

from my research i belive the 370 will take 260HP to go on plane. Anything that produce under this or egal to this will be either unable to plane or un-efficiency in term of wear and fuel usage. The 4.3 seem indeed a good choice. However, if you like to go at trawler speed, 150 HP will be plenty. But you should know that a modified V-hull like the 370 ins't the more efficient at hull speed compared to a trawler.

Personnally i would not go with the Cobra drive, they are outdated ( even if similar to volvo SX) and will not be has good on your resale value being not produced anymore, plus part might become rare with the time. Welding you transom should not be a big deal, any half decent aluminium welder will do the job, just be shure they use 5052 aluminium and weld inside. Try to find used Volvo SX instead even merc Alpha one will work, they can handle up to 450 HP if i remember well. Bravo II is a similar technologie to SX drive, but i think the props are more expensive. Im pretty shure a Duo-props can give great result on these boat. In all case, stick to motor and brand still produced today, it's better for resale.
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

Hi,

I have my 1969 Alcan 370 at the boatyard now getting refitted with twin 150 hp Yamaha outboards :). They are used motors and the project will not be cheap. I should be launching in 2-3 weeks so stay tuned.

Two single motor brackets: $1250 each
Two 2000 Yamaha 150 2 stroke outboards: $7200
Welding cost: $3000 (I hope)
Yard cost to pull motors and mount the outboards: $4000 (I hope)

Cheers,

Walt
Attachments
WP_20130905_001.jpg
LDoliner

Post by LDoliner »

Can I ask who you are using?
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

Sorry, I have been away. I am having the repower done by Ross Marine Boatyard in Charleston South Carolina.

Walt