Alcan 37 fuel tank

For general discussion about Alcan boats
justcruzin

Alcan 37 fuel tank

Post by justcruzin »

I have recently purchased a 69 Alcan 37(Thumper 1V). I have found that one of the fuel tanks is leaking. Has anyone had any luck locating a replacement of the same approximate dimensions with out getting one custom made or is there a parts boat out there any where. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob
Rob

Re: Alcan 37 fuel tank

Post by Rob »

Hi Bob,

I put 50 gallon plastic marine tanks in Catherine Ann, many years ago. These have worked well and passed two surveys with no questions. They expand (bulge) when filled, which is a little "un-nerving" at first . . . but is part of their design. This expansion has to be allowed for at installation. At 50 gallons, these will be a little smaller than the original tanks . . . but, at 46 years old . . . the tanks in Thumper may well not be original.
These are not the same manufacturer as my tanks, but look very similar.
http://www.marineengine.com/products/ac ... in=2563516

Rob
justcruzin

Post by justcruzin »

Thanks Rob, I found the same tank on Scepters web site. The Chandlery can get it in for me for about the same price. Moeller have quite a lot of different designs. With the V-6's there's a lot of room where the old tanks came out so I might be able to fit shorter wider tanks in to get a bit more capacity and lower the center of gravity a bit. You seem to have been through just about all there is with your restoration so I will probably have a few more inquiries before were completed. I had to pull the gen set to get the tanks out and now that it is out it probably won't go back in and ill upgrade to batteries. So if any one is looking for a 6 1/2kw gen set let me know.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi justcruzin,

I have an Alwest, but know the Alcan quite well too.
Funny that you have the genset for sale :).
The original engines and outdrives from Thumper IV are now my rebuilt spares.
I'm kind of into restoring the original stuff . . . but the parts are getting stupidly expensive.
Before you ask . . . I already have a spare genset (from Wally - Skinny Dugan).
This forum has become rather dormant in the last while . . . would be nice if interest rekindled.
Ask away on anything you think I might be able to help with.

Rob
justcruzin

Post by justcruzin »

Hi Rob,I am trying to figure out a frame to support the fuel tanks, by chance would you have any pics of your fuel tank install.