Project completed

For general discussion about Alcan boats
Tarpon

Project completed

Post by Tarpon »

Some of you might recall, less than a year ago, I purchased Joe Fosters boat located in Florida. My plans included removal of the two volvo inboards and outdrives. The project took longer than expected. Almost four months after we began I relaunched the "Busted Flush" with numerous improvements including a pair of new 300hp Suzuki outboards. Modifications to the transom were extensive including 45 degree gussets running from the inside transom to the stringers. The custom 12' wide bracket was constructed and sealed as an air chamber to provide aft flotation. Jack plates were installed for both engines. As a result, over six feet was added to the overall length. Worth noting is the fact that the waterline of the boat remained exactly the same.

The draft of the boat now at idle is less than 24" when the jack plates are raised and of course trim and tilt help as well. Top speed measured by GPS is now 42MPH. Accurate fuel consumption will be determined over the next month as I travel to the West coast but hoping for 2 miles to the gallon. The best performance seems to be 4500 rpms running at 26 MPH with jack plates half way up and trim up 50%.

I carry 48 gallons of water in the main tank and have added another 60 gallons in the abandoned engine compartments. Some added weight aft is welcomed by offering additional bow lift. Maximum fuel capacity is 190 gallons.

The new technology built into the 2018 engines and controls married perfectly with the old hull design. Fly by wire controls are exact and smooth as silk. Running the boat from the flybridge is a dream and surpassed my wildest expectations. I move to the pilothouse only when forced to do so due to weather conditions.

I'll send some pics soon.
pedro

Re: Project completed

Post by pedro »

Any pictures? Great fishing rig also.
islandjoe71

Re: Project completed

Post by islandjoe71 »

Bill stopped by my place and let me drive his new completed project “Busted Flush” formally my “Islander” . New Suzuki Outboard engines and mounting bracket were awesome so say the least!!! Check out you tube video link!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyCGqvc9g0U