Crying myself to sleep

For general discussion about Alcan boats
abbey8875

Crying myself to sleep

Post by abbey8875 »

We bought an Alcan 37 and painstakingly refurbished the interior of the boat and began looking after the engines and getting them ready for summer on the water unfortunately they will not run. We have replaced the gas, oil, filters, spark plugs, refurbished the outdrives and installed new throttle cables. The motors will start but will not run for long and one of the engines is leaking water from areas around the sea water intake and maybe some other spots but my eyes went cross-eyed and I black out at that point. We are looking for a good mechanic or maybe even some rebuilt Volvo AQ165-A engines. Also not sure if the boat would be compatible with another type of motor. Please help!!! Greatly appreciate any insight
dpearson

Re: Crying myself to sleep

Post by dpearson »

Sorry to hear about your engine problems. The original AQ165/170 were fine quality, but 50 years later it is getting hard to find parts to keep them running. You might post a "looking for" message on this forum. It doesn't reach a huge audience, but it is definitely the right people.

With respect to compatibility for re-power, the part that makes or breaks the re-power is the stern drive. There hasn't been much evolution in engine mounts over the years so you can physically fit a lot of engines. That said, the odds are fairly low of having the right gear ratio/propeller and finding exhaust couplings that work. Most people end up changing the stern drives when re-powering. On the bright side, Volvo Penta sells and adapter plate to mount new drives in the old transom openings. It means you don't need to do any cutting or welding to mount new drives.

Cheers
David Pearson