Window Screens

For general discussion about Alcan boats
GOVAN

Window Screens

Post by GOVAN »

The window screens on Alcans were built by Beclavat. My screens have all been lost over the years. I would like to replace all the screens [and get rid of the make-shift stuff we have divised to replace the lost screens] by having Beclavat make new ones.
I spoke to Mr. Ben Eby of Beclavat and he said he thought they could reproduce the originals but would need exact measurements.
The question arises do any of the Forum members have screens intact and would it be possible to measure and trace the curves sufficiently for Beclavate to make news ones?
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Brian - Sioux
govan@look.ca
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Terry

Screens

Post by Terry »

All my screens, except the back window/door (which is missing) are in great shape. I'm pretty sure the corner radius is the same on all windows so Beclavat might only need one sample to go by, along with exact measurements for the others. I'd be happy to take all my screens out for measurement and along with a sample of one, get them down to Belleville for you. Only about a 45 minute drive from here. Hopefully someone else out there can supply us with the measurements for the back window and we can both get one of these. If you can help us out, make sure the measurements are for an Alcan as I'll bet they changed when they started making the Alwests.
Let me know if you want to proceed.

BTW, I'm in withdrawal as The MasterCard III is on the hard.
:cry:
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Terry - what a grand piece of luck. I would consider it a great favour if you could proceed. I do hope someone has a Stern window screen that they can provide us measurements of.

I will be happy to share any expenses in the endeavourd.

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Terry

Post by Terry »

I should be able to get up to the boat this weekend to get the screens, then probably down to Beclawat in Belleville next weekend.
I'll send you an email to firm up the timing so you can get a hold of your contact to let him know to expect me. Have him keep all the specs for future reference in case any of us need them.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi guys:

Having fiddle with these screens (and worked with Beclawat on restoring my Alwest windows) I would have to say that no two windows (even ones which appear to be the same) are close enough for screens to be interchangeable. I would suggest careful measurement of each window at the screen run flanges so that Beclawat can work from these measurements. You are correct that all corners seem to have been formed to the same radius.

Rob