Manifolds & Risers

For general discussion about Alcan boats
Eboness

Manifolds & Risers

Post by Eboness »

Hi Gang,

Well Eboness is back in good working order again, thank goodness. Thought I'd tell you about what happened to me so you might catch this if it ever happened to you. I ran my boat to Snug Cove up Howe Sound after work one Friday and enjoyed a nice dinner at the marina there. The next morning I went to start both engines and the starboard one made a loud klunk sound after about one second of starting, OH SHIT! Went back to see anything was wrong but no sign of the problem. Tried three more times and still no start, same sound. Decided to limp back on the port engine which started no problem. Called machanic and he said the riser or manifold had leaked water into the engine and as we all know water does not compress very well. Pulled the plugs and turned over the engine a few seconds, sure enough water came shooting out. Then put liquid wrench w/teflon into each spark plug hole and prayed that a rod or piston didn't get bent. Changed the oil on the starboard engine before we replaced both engines manifolds and risers and elbows with new and thank goodness both engines ran great. Changed the oil again on the starboard engine and everything seems fine. Here is the lesson for this story, when you decide it's time to replace something on your marine engines don't say afterwards, "Oh it will last one more season". I now know I should have replaced both sets of manifolds, risers and elbows last season, stupid me!!!
The sound the engine made when this problem started was the key. If you hear what sounds like a loud klunk sound after you turn your key, STOP and pull the plugs from that engine and turn it over. If you see water shooting out of the plug holes you know you have my problem. If you continue to try and start your engine you might bend a rod or break a piston. Remember B.O.A.T. stands for "Bring On Another Thousand" as this little fun and games came to $3500.00! OUCH! Boating is sooooo much fun!

Hope all of you are cruising soon!

Patrick, MV Eboness :D
Rob

Post by Rob »

Got a chuckle out of reading your message . . . . one of those "been there / done that" moments. Glad to hear that you got out of yours without major damage. Bring on Spring :-)