ALCAN Window Screens

For general discussion about Alcan boats
GOVAN

ALCAN Window Screens

Post by GOVAN »

The Company that originally manufactured the windows and doors on the ALCANs was BECLAWAT. I am having them make a complete new set of screens for SIOUX. The cost is about $1600.00 plus tax.

Terry Rob took screens from his boat to the manufacturer to use as a tempate for the new screens. That was the real help that made this possible. I sure thank Terry for his help.

If I were going to keep SIOUX [it is for Sale] I would have them make a new entrance door.

Brian
SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Rob

Post by Rob »

I also found Beclawat excellent to deal with when I rebuilt the windows on Catherine Ann several years ago. The current staff at Beclawat seemed somewhat surprised that these 1970's vintage housecruisers had their windows and doors. The door can also be rebuilt although Beclawat did not have parts. The key is in the rebuilding of the bottom rollers that it rides on. I though that I had done a good job on the door for Catherine Ann, until I opened and closed the door on Our Cottage! Joe, can you explain what you did to make your door so effortless to open and close ??
Our Cottage

window screens/doors

Post by Our Cottage »

Rob, so far as I can remember rebuilding the door, materials were the metal rollers with ball bearings as well as springs of the diameter and gauge of the originals. At that time they were available at Home Hardware.

I cut the springs to the original length with a Dremel tool. There are four of them. The springs are very important to the operation of the door.

The rollers came preassembled in a replacement for a patio door so I had to drill the rivet out of each holder. The original rollers have to be removed from the roller holders on the Beclawat door,carefully. Chicago screws are cut to fit the roller holder so it will still fit in the door. Lube the roller bearings with grease before assembly. The screws holding it all together are UNIQUE. I don't think replacements are available, so disassemble the door where the screws will not fall and get lost.

Reassemble and install the door. I hope that covers it.
Joe
Rob

Post by Rob »

Joe,
Thanks for the detailed reply . . . . this is now on my list of things to do.
springs ?? I didn't know I was supposed to have springs!
But this makes sense when I think about how sliding patio doors work.
I will look more closely.

The rest of this puzzle (on an Alwest) for anyone considering this is:
1) Remove the inside handle
2) Remove the upper and lower track end stops
3) Remove the "sail panel" just aft of the door
4) The entire door will slide out the aft end of the tracks.
While the door is out, replace the fuzzy strip that seals the aft edge in the fully closed position (these are available from glass repair shops or from Beclawat). This will help keep the bugs out.
Rob
GOVAN

Re: ALCAN Window Screens

Post by GOVAN »

Good morning - the screens finally arrived this morning. A bit disappointed on how flimsy they are compared to the originals.

Brian - Sioux
BRIAN F. GOVAN
limitless

Post by limitless »

Here is another idea re: screening. We were not aware prior to this website that the window manufacture was still afloat. What we did was custom made snap over screens that also provide 40% sun shade to limit solar gain. The pilot house windows, entrance door/window, including the large stern window cost aprox. $200. Attached you will see the pics, you might have to enlarge the pics to see the screen coverings.
Attachments
Stern Cabin Window
Stern Cabin Window
Starboard Quarter
Starboard Quarter
Port Quarter
Port Quarter
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

We tried the snap on method of attaching custom screens. The company we hired used to few snaps and it was not long before the screens were flapping in the breeze. We decided on another approach. We decided to use Velcro to attach the screens to the window frames. That was disaster! The velcro didn't stick well to the window frames and it was not long before they separated. The remaining sticky glue part of the velcro attracted dirt and debris. We finally took the screens off and decided to look for another approach. We now have nice new screens. Of course, before we could put these on we had to scrape off the velcro glue that remained on the window frames. It took some work and some Avon Skin So Soft to melt the glue. Ruth wonders what that stuff really does to your skin?
BRIAN F. GOVAN