dinette construction

For general discussion about Alcan boats
Robert Stork

dinette construction

Post by Robert Stork »

Hello everyone! I have slacked off but the next phase of interior restoration is on the way for our Baby Alcan 290 (Baby Blue Whale, formally "Holdfast"). Unfortunately we are not in the water since i tore things apart last fall. So the next phase of work involves building things back to the way they were and doing some better.

The Alcan 290 was never well designed on the inside for eating. Basically it originally had 2 beds at either side at the stern with back flip -up bunkies. A table was between this set-up but one could never get comfortable. For one you did not look out nicely (too low of a table relative to the window) and no back support since the backs of the beds(bunkies) were far too far away to sit and lounge. Couple this with the previous owners removal of the original boat sized narrow beds with full sized mattresses and yes you could sleep but not move. As well we need storage for the bedding which seems to take up all visual space.

Solution: Since the original bed locations are on a 7" rise off of the floor on either side, we are re-locating the dinette area with two benches (with box storage underneath 32" wide) to port side in place of one of the original single beds with flip-up bunkie. This set-up allows us to gaze nicely out of the port window side and take proper advantage of the large windows. This dinette table will lower to accommodate a double bed+ sizing. The dinette bench will be 3 person wide at stern (48", includes 16" cantilevered seat over central floor area) and 40" at front bench (also 8" cantelevered to minimize visual mass) so as to provide seating for 5 and a more V-dimensioned bed. The starboard side will have a new original sized 32" bed (with storage box underneath) and a bunkie will still be there as a fold-up/down rear of bed.

As well we intend to provide for a small staircase in front of the stern window so that we can climb out the rear window (now that the table set-up is no longer in this location), and the same stair will serve as a night table for the starboard bed. I think this set-up will make for a bigger feeling lower area and become much more practical. All new construction will be faced with teak to resemble the original, and i intend to re-use some of the original facings.

Question: I need to have a dinette table that flips/raises and lowers from bed to dinette easily. Any ideas? I understand that Lee Valley has the pop-up spring loaded legs. But i was wondering how the tables work in your boats? Any pictures would be help-full.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Robert,

I have read your message several times and I am still confused :-)
This needs a picture and/or a drawing!
The ideal setup is where the table width comes exactly to the front edge of the seats. The seat backs need to be about 16" back from that.
This works for the table to sit on rails attached to the fronts of the bench seats to create the bed. The rest of the puzzle is to have the seat backs sized to exactly 1/2 of the width of the table. . . . . then, everything turns into a bed. We have two of these on Catherine Ann. One forward, and one aft.
Terry

Forward dinette table

Post by Terry »

Hey Rob,
I wouldn't mind seeing photos of the table set-up forward. Mine is still the original set-up and I always find that upper area to be uncomfortable to sit in.
Bench seats are too wide or something.

David has set up a photo gallery section to the site that you can access from the home page, or link to it from here:
http://www.alcanboats.com/Photo/index.php
I haven't figured out all the quirks of it yet, but I think it will be a useful tool, and some fun, for all of us.

On another note, I think my windshield wipers are originals, but the bad news is, I think the blades are original too. I can't find replacement rubber or the blade assembly anywhere and when you show it around everyone looks at you like you're from Mars. Anybody else run across this and what did you do?
Robert Stork

Re: dinette construction

Post by Robert Stork »

My table will do exactly as yours or others, lower to sit on edges at front of each bench. Back rest cushions will fit over table area.
But how do you guys raise and lower the table? Brute force lifting? and then throw a leg underneath and hook it on the wall with pre-formed double J-brackets to catch? I wish I could offer a picture, but the boat is up north. More importantly i will provide a picture of the benches soon to be finished, (with front edges to hold lowered table).
Now for the table. i know there are leg crank systems, and spring loaded one leg systems, but i cannot find them in a catalogue, nor store.

As for the comment about windshield wiper. I replaced mine, turned out to be simple tractor/backhoe window wiper.

robert stork
Rob

Re: Settee conversions & wiper blades

Post by Rob »

The forward seating area on Catherine Ann has a smaller table and slightly wider seating (about 18") more like couches. This is still less than the 26" cushions. The difference is made up by 4" thick foam back cushions on 3/4" plywood back boards and (this is the different part) 3" to 4" wooden cross rails. These rails are different widths to provide angle to the seat backs in the upright position plus spacing them out from the walls and then, provide the strength to make this into a queen size sleeping area by spanning the entire centre area. The table disassembles and lays underneath. I can tell that this description will need pictures to fully understand. I will take some :-) .

Regarding raising and lowering the aft table to the settee rails, I think a mechanism to do this is overkill. We simply fold the single leg, lift the table from its wall support ledge and place it on the rails. I will take pictures of this too.

Re the wiper blades, I found the closest set of CTC inserts and "narrowed" my blade holders by squeezing them section by section in a vice, to fit. The good thing about this is that now, standard replacement blade inserts fit easily. I find that I have to replace these blades about every 3 years to keep a streak free wiping action.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hey Rob and Robert,
What about those pics of your table set-ups? It's even easier to attach the pics right here rather than in the photo gallery.
See?
Attachments
We need a new captain.
We need a new captain.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I like the "sample" picture :-) Can I borrow it ?
I have taken a bunch of pictures of the various seating/sleeping areas on Catherine Ann.
I am hoping that David can get his site updates working again so I can submit these as a package with descriptions,
as a tech article. If not, I can email the Powerpoint version to anyone who is interested.

Rob