Hello, everyone.

For general discussion about Alcan boats
LifeAquatic

Hello, everyone.

Post by LifeAquatic »

Hi all,

I recently signed up for this forum after finding out about these boats. Just thought I'd introduce myself and say hi.

The wife and I are planing on moving to our cottage (Muscote Bay on the Bay of Quinte) in a few years. One of these Alcans would be a great addition to our new lifestyle.

In the mean time I have a lot to learn and consider. Will my dock be sufficient for a larger boat... How hard will it be to pull it out of the water for the winter... Do I want a fixer-upper... What to name it ... :)

So anyways, if I respond to any topics, at least now I won't be a complete stranger...

I hope everyone is having a great summer!

James
Terry

Re: Hello, everyone.

Post by Terry »

Welcome aboard James!

Ask away with your questions as there are some pretty sharp guys lurking around here and collectively there are many years of experience with the Alcans.

Why wait until you move in on the Bay? There are a few beauties out there for sale right now and you've got a beautiful stretch of water to run her on.
LifeAquatic

Post by LifeAquatic »

Hi Terry,

I'd love to get one now, but that would probably be jumping the gun a bit. I won't have much chance to get to the cottage this summer, and when there I should be getting the cottage in shape for full-time living. Plus, I have to get my wife accustomed to the idea or a big boat. Of course, never say never...

I really like your boat! I'd really prefer one of these Alcans with one or two smaller diesel engines. I think. Ha, I have a lot to learn and decide! Part of me wants to find one to fix up. Once I'm actually living at the cottage I hope to have lots of spare time for tinkering and such. Of course it will probably be one of those things where when I see it, I'll know it's the right one.

While I am writing, I thought I'd ask the forum what kind of gas mileage the various iterations of these boats get. Does the Alcan 370 ever come with a single diesel? I'd imagine that a good chunk of these boats would have new drive systems by now, so anything is possible.

As I have been reading more about boat cruising (I've always had a boat, just little 40HP runabouts and such...) I wonder if anyone can give me an idea of the wave size or what kind of rough water these boats can handle? I know that they really shouldn't be considered as houseboats as such, so I'd imagine they should be fine for most trips I'd consider.

Ha, I'm sure that is just the tip of the question iceberg...

Regards, James
Terry

Post by Terry »

Part of me wants to find one to fix up.
I'll make a big sacrifice here... why don't you just use my boat and fix it up, then give it back to me. :lol:

I haven't heard of a 370 with a single screw, but others might know for sure.

We do most of our boating on Rice Lake and the Trent/Severn Canal so don't usually hit very rough water. Although Rice Lake can blow up pretty big and quick, we've never been caught in anything that I felt threatened by. Some of the left coast guys might want to chime in on this thread. I think Dave Pearson has circumnavigated Vancouver Island three times. I'm sure he picked his days, but still, he had her out in the Pacific and that's as big a chunk of water as you can find.

Anytime you (or anyone else here) is around Cobourg or Rice Lake, drop me a line and for sure we'd love to have you on board for a visit.
LifeAquatic

Post by LifeAquatic »

Terry wrote: I'll make a big sacrifice here... why don't you just use my boat and fix it up, then give it back to me. :lol:
Sounds great! I'll even let you know how it's coming along every few years. :D

Yeah, I'd imagine if it can make it around Vancouver Island I shouldn't worry too much. Of course, as with anything, don't put yourself into a bad situation and you should be fine.

I will definitely try and get out there and take you up on your offer. Heck, Cobourg is right on the way to my cottage. Thanks!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi James

Welcome to the world of Alcans, Alwests and their other cousins.
Whatever your question, likely one of the regular contributors to this website can answer it.

David (our webmaster) is having some rather complicated issues with posting website updates. Typically we have a fairly regular flow of new info in addition to the Forum. Hopefully he will get this sorted out eventually.

Re “finding one to fix up” . . . . this is pretty much the only alternative, given that all of these boats are over 35 years old !

I have never heard of an Alcan or Alwest 370 with a single engine. These can be a handful to maneuver even with twins. I have seen 32s with a single engine and have heard that some 37s cruise on one engine to save fuel. For 15 years I have been planning to do an accurate mileage calculation but have never done so. Maybe I just don’t want to know! I “think” we are running about 3 to 4 litres (1 gal) per nautical mile at our usual 7 knot cruising speed.

We boat in the St Lawrence and Kingston area. Many times we have been in 4 ft waves that are starting to throw the dishes about in the cupboards. I have only felt “threatened” one time out in front of Kingston in 6 ft plus waves. This is partly because the wave peaks get very close together as the waves pile up after coming across the deeper lake. There is a knack to handling heavy weather. You don’t want to take the waves directly on the bow or the stern as this will actually lift the outdrives out of the water making it hard to maintain forward progress. I have only stuck the bowsprit into green water a few times :-). “Tacking” into the waves to keep them at about 30 degrees from either the bow or the stern creates a rolling motion that can be handled.
And of course, you don't ever want heavy weather directly on the beam.

Several of us are relatively close to your location, so if you would like some reference points or to compare notes before purchase, just let us know.

Rob
LifeAquatic

Post by LifeAquatic »

Hi Rob

Thanks for the info!

And for a few words for me to look up...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi James

This is Catherine Ann in 2 ft waves driven by 25 knots of wind, but in a relatively protected channel.
This does not even disturb the dishes.
Getting safely to the dock in 25 knots of crosswind, now thats a different matter requiring further discussion :-)
Attachments
dinghy in davits.JPG
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Hi folks

First, It is good to see some traffic in the forums.

WRT single engine 370's. If you look at the brochures for Alcan and Alwest 370's you will see that there was a Single V-8 Mercruiser option. I have never seen one, but they existed at least for the marketing department.

WRT rough water. The folks on the coasts will have much better experience than us fresh water boaters. The 370 is fairly popular for dive-boat conversion on the West coast. The major definciency for rough water use appears to be the low prow. It is common to weld aluminum plates to the forward railings to raise the prow of the boat for going through rougher water. I have cruised aboard Quadrium in West coast waters and can atest to her sea-keeping capability. The picture of Quadrium in the registry was taken in Glacier Bay, Alaska, so you can make your own judegment whether or not these boats can do big water.

I have great confidence in my boat in every situation we have encountered so far. I have shipped green water over the bow and would prefer a higher prow. I have also experienced the props spinning in the air as we dive over a wave, so can appreciate shaft-drive props under the hull as a better system for rough water. I wouldn't attempt to cross the Altantic in my boat, but the 200 mile fuel range is a more severe limitation in that endeavour.

Hope everyone is well
David