Another ALCAN for sale

For general discussion about Alcan boats
GOVAN

Another ALCAN for sale

Post by GOVAN »

There is another Alcan listed for sale for $38,000.00. I spoke to the owner and she said she was waiting to get registered on this site so that she could seek and share information.
It seems to be a problem to sell an Alcan with the original straight six engines. She wanted to get an idea of the current cost of repowering to V6 engines?
I know the Volvo engines I have are simply Chevrolet V6 engines with water cooling. It is new outdrives that appear to cost the bucks.
I was suprised to hear that the clothes closet has been reworked to provide accomodation for a half size refrigerator. Hence, no access to the shower pump, hence shower never used?

Brian Govan - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Rob

Re: Another ALCAN for sale

Post by Rob »

Hi Brian,

Re Alcan/Alwest Engines . . . .

Many (most?) of our boats were originally built with the Volvo straight 6 engines. 170 A/B or C and Series 250 or 270 outdrives.
These are true Swedish Volvo engines and work well if you understand them although they are slightly underpowered for what is needed. Winter freeze protection is a little complicated and most sucumb to not being properly winterized. Although . . . . why they thought we wouldn't need chokes for cold starting still puzzles me.

Before the Alcan/Volvo relationship, boats built with OMC outdrives had either Buick V6 or Chev V8 engines.
These engines were good marine conversions and easy to maintain/fix, but the outdrives . . . . not so good.

Most repowers seem to be with Volvo packages which now use GM engines for all gasoline applications.
As you say, the big money is in the outdrive. David has assembled a really comprehensive understanding of how much power is needed for an Alcan/Alwest 370. This is in the tech section and is required reading for anyone planning to repower.

The cost of a dual repower is roughly the value of our boats. $30K to $40K.
I will likely stay with continuing to maintain and rebuild the originals. You get kind of good at it after a while :-)
So . . . . if anyone is repowering and has 170 A/B/C engines and 270 outdrives to dispose of, please give me a call.

BTW, where is this latest $38K listing ?

Rob