HEAD GASKET!!!!

For general discussion about Alcan boats
Terry

HEAD GASKET!!!!

Post by Terry »

There, I've said it out loud.

We've been trying to not step on that elephant in the room. Big time overheating on my starboard engine. lots of air bubbles in the coolant. loss of coolant...
We've replaced the impeller and the thermostat and cleaned out the heat exchanger but still have the problem. When we loosen the pressure cap on the closed system it still heats up but only to about 175º - 180º.
These are 40 year old engines - Volvo Penta 6 cyl, diesel, MD29A and apparently the part number is 818114 - very tough to find.
Wilbur at French Creek Marina in Clayton, NY thinks he might have a head gasket for me but needs the old one to make sure.

Is there any way to make a gasket?
Any other leads where I might find one?
How big a deal to replace it? I was told putting the whole thing back together is the big deal, certain pattern to tighten and torque bolts and all.

Last year we had a boat/cottage, this year we have a cottage/boat.
I'm dying... :cry:
Rob

Re: HEAD GASKET!!!!

Post by Rob »

Ouch . . . . .those damned elephants !
This could be just the gasket or could lead down a deeper hole (but I guess you know this)

I usually get my parts through Durham Marine Services in Pickering (905-420-6559)
They can usually get parts within a few days if they are stocked in the Vovo Canada warehouse, even though it's in Vancouver.
The guy who runs Durham Marine is Winston. It would be good to talk to him about what else you might need, besides the head gasket, to do this job. (Other gaskets or seals often get damaged in the disassembly process) There is often a "head gasket Kit".

I've had pretty good luck getting parts for my gasoline 170s, maybe because there are still so many of them out there.
The prices are ridiculous of course. I have no idea re parts for your diesels . . . . although Volvo built a lot of diesels and they tend to last even longer than the gasoline engines, so I am thinking that you will find what you need.

Good Luck !