NEWBIES!

For general discussion about Alcan boats
Low Risk

NEWBIES!

Post by Low Risk »

Hello Everyone. We would like to introduce ourselves to you, we are Ron and Wendy. We are proud owners of an Alcan/Alwest housecruiser since early spring. We called the housecruiser "Low Risk" (from what we understand about these housecruisers so far, it is a very fitting name). Our hull number is 37071158 and we have a slip in the Port Credit Harbou Marina.

Since David is having some difficulty with the site and does not know when it will be ok, he suggested that we go on the forum and introduce ourselves, so here we are!

I will attach a picture so you can at least see the housecruiser. We would like to find out if we have an Alcan or an Alwest.

Wendy
Attachments
100_0949.jpg
Rob

Re: NEWBIES!

Post by Rob »

Welcome "Low Risk" !

As I am sure many will jump to tell you . . . . .
You have an Alwest, built in Gimli Manitoba . . . . actually only 2 builds after Buster !
From your picture, the upper cabin roof with the supports forward is unusual for an Alwest, more like the Alcans.
See the website tech section for lots of things that you can do on an Alwest :-)

Rob
"Catherine Ann"
Terry

Post by Terry »

Welcome aboard!
Nice to have some new members. How about hearing from you Rose?

I think Brian's "Sioux" used to have the full front like that on his Alwest and he chopped it off. Brian?
I can't imagine being without ours. Always wondered if it was strong enough to string a hammock from. Maybe I'll try to lose a few pounds and find out.
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

SIOUX - is an Alcan - she did have an "eyelid". The previous owner of SIOUX had a flybridge added. Not much thought was put into what that extra weight would do to the stability of the boat. So, we made some changes. First, we moved the fresh water tank aft of the collision bulkhead [this meant moving the holding tank and the hot water tank]. These moves greatly improved the stability [lowered centre of gravity] so that the bow was not inclinded to plow into waves. We then thought that the eyelid made SIOUX look to house boaty, was heavy and did not serve a useful purpose. We cut off the eyebrow. We have regretted doing so every since.

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN