VOLVO V6 ENGINE PROBLEM

For general discussion about Alcan boats
GOVAN

VOLVO V6 ENGINE PROBLEM

Post by GOVAN »

My starboard engine has not been healthy all summer. It would start easily rev up to 2000 RPM and die. Restart easily and quickly die. The mechanic rebuilt the carborator, did a compression test, checked all the wiring, replaced the ignition coil, replaced the fuel pump - all to no avail.
Finally - replaced the alternator. It seems it was not consistent in generator power. With the new Alternator I am told the problem is cured. We will see this weekend!

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Rob

Re: VOLVO V6 ENGINE PROBLEM

Post by Rob »

Hi Brian,
I will be interested to know if this works . . . . I have another theory, if it doesn't.
Rob
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Rob - I tested the engine at the dock today. It never ran or sounded better. I am shocked that it seems so perfect. I will take her out on Lake Erie next weekend for a good high speed run. Need to burn off some of the old gasoline.

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Terry

Post by Terry »

Well?
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Well, its like this. I still have not been out on the lake. My wife decided painting the deck was a priority - two weekends. Then I bought a new electric toilet [base only]. Like all boat projects a piece of cake - until - the deck mounting screws are in a slightly different position.
The hose connections were the same - except the water hose from the pump to the back of the toilet needs to be 1/4" larger for the fitting on the new base {3/4" to 1"}. With the nice new wires coming from the motor it seemed to be a snap to connect. Things like that don't happen. I have an electrician coming on Saturday morning to figure out the wiring.
All being well I will get out on the Lake on Saturday afternoon.
I will be sure to write a report on the results of this weekend.
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Our Cottage

Post by Our Cottage »

So, Brian, how are you making out with the toilet,as well as the engine? We were in your area a week or so ago but did not see Sioux..
Joe
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

This is an update on my engine problem. First, after all the repair work I was able to get the boat out on Lake Erie last Saturday. It ran well and I was quite pleased. On Sunday I decided to change the oil. In the morning I started the engines and ran them until they were thoughly warmed up. However, I took a break for lunch and time to shoot the bull with others. I got back to the boat and started the Starboard engine. The Port engine would not start. The Marina mechanic worked on it twice during the past week with no results. It appears the ignition is not constant.
The ensuing discussion in the Yacht Club suggested that the problem has to be in the distributor pickup.
Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

I originally meant to send the following to Rob - instead I sent it to Terry [Rob].

Rob - we had a nice ride last Saturday. Sunday was the day to change the oil. Warmed up the engines a couple of times in the morning. Tried to start them in the afternoon. The Port engine would not start. The Marina mechanic worked on the engine this week to no avail. Same problem as before. [before installing a $960.00 alternator]. I should have paid more attention to your offer of a suggestion. Well, I sure am in need of such a suggestion now!. Any help greatly appreciated.

The toilet installation went well. Another member of the Yacht club did most of the work. We tested the unit and it worked every so much better than the original. The real problem with the original turned out to be that the impreller had become soft and created too much friction for the motor to turn - or so I am told by the electric motor shop who did a post mortem.

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Brian,

I do have a few ideas that might help . . . .
but first, I need more detail on "would not start" such as:
1) Would not crank (battery/starter motor)
2) Cranked but would not start (could be fuel or spark)
3) Starts and stalls (likely carb choke adjustment)
4) Runs but quits without warning (likely spark)
or as much detail as you can provide on what's happening.

Rob
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

SIOUX engine problem. Last Spring the boat was moved to my dock. Once in the dock I started the Starboard engine. Then, attempted to start the Port engine. No go. The batteries were in the boat all Winter. They were still fully charged.
There was evidence of plenty of gas. There was no evidence of Spark. That began the whole series of tests. The local Marina mechanic was put in charge of getting the engine to run.
The distributor, electronic ignition, was examined and appeared normal, as did the Coil.
After installing new items, coil, a new fuel pump, etc. it was the conclusion that it must be a problem with the Alternator. The Marina installed a new one [$963.00]. There appeared to be some success and I got the engines started and made a short trip out the harbour and back to the Marina. But, that just lasted the one day.
At times the engine would start, run up to 2000 rpm and quit. If one were patient enough and restarted the engine enough times and ran the engine to 2400 rpms it would continue running. In fact, I got the brute to start and moved SIOUX into the well for Lift-Out.

It appears that the problem is electrical but, no one knows why, or what more can be done.
The only suggestion I have been given is that the "pickup" in the distributor is faulty.

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Brian,

It is always tough to diagnose these things by remote analysis.
The ignition cutout / loss of spark makes some sense . . . . but let me try another theory.

The explanation that it starts, revs and then stalls (repeatedly) suggests that the choke is coming open too fast.
This fits with the explanation that if you do this enough times, the engine will finally get warm enought to run without a choke.
Either the choke blade is blowing open too easily or if this carburetor has a "vacuum break" device, it is set to open the choke too far.
Remove the air cleaner and watch the choke blade.
Have someone pump the throttle once, the choke blades at the top of the carburetor should snap to almost fully closed and should feel slightly "spring loaded" in this closed position. When you start the engine it should stay on fast idle without having to hold it there with the throttle and the choke blade should open slowly, taking maybe 45 seconds to open fully. A slight blip of the throttle should then allow the warmed up engine to drop down to normal idle.

I am assuming that your carburetor is a Rochester Dualjet.
If the above does not make sense, send me pictures of both sides of your carburetor.

Rob
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

I will be at the boat on Saturday and I have to start the engines for the winterizing operation. I will try to get all the information and pictures you asked for. Thank you,

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Problem solved. Maybe? Probably. For the first time I decided to use of different method of injecting anti-freeze into the engines. At the Yacht Club a number of Members have made a barrel, a hose, and a portable pump. The barrel is filled with a few gallons on anti-freeze. Muffs are placed over the outdrive. The pump turned on and the liquid is drawn into the engine.
This was all set up for me and I was told to start the Port engine. The engine turned over briskly for a considerable period of time but did not start. Then nothing!! The many observers concluded the battery was dead. I connect the battery charger and left if for 30 minutes. Same result. We decided the winterizing would have to be done the old way {drain the block and pour the stuff down the hoses. One fellow got down beside the engine and asked for one more starter try. No luck. He checked the starter for loose connections, and finding none, decided to check connections at the battery. The connections were loose and some had corrosion on them. He cleaned the terminals, and tightened them down.
A brief touch on the starter and the engine roared into life.
Mind you this is after many hours [and dollars] spent by a Certified Volvo Mechanic, a new alternator, fuel pump, coil and miscellaneous other stuff. And, no one checked the battery!!

In years past I was the one to diconnect the batteries in the Fall and connect them in the Spring. Not this year - but, will certainly check next year.

Thanks to all for your consideration and helpful suggestions.

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN