2009 Alcan Boat Rendezvous

For general discussion about Alcan boats
dpearson

2009 Alcan Boat Rendezvous

Post by dpearson »

Folks

For those in attendance at the 2008 Alcan Boat Rendezvous, you may recall conversation about 2009. Given that we were proposing a change of venue, and possibly a lengthy cruise for some, I thought we should open up a discussion on the topic and see what people were thinking. I propose we hold the rendezvous about the same time of year as previously. In 2009 that would be the weekend of August 15-16, and that is about the most solid part of the plan so far. Based on the geographic distribution of home ports, I propose we hold the event somewhere near Trenton. Bonnie and I are thinking of following the Rendezvous with a cruise up the Trent-Severn. If anyone is interested in a flotilla, we would be pleased to have you join us. I have started a web-page http://www.alcanboats.com/2009_rendezvous.htm to document the plan as it comes together.

At this time, I am interested in hearing from people regarding:
1 - suggestions regarding location for the Rendezvous.
2 - your level of interest in the Rendezvous and/or the cruise.
3 - if you are interested in the cruise, then suggestions regarding the itinerary.

Thanks
David
Rob

Re: 2009 Alcan Boat Rendezvous

Post by Rob »

Hello All:

The 07/08 Rendezvous' have been a great opportunity for us to meet each other and compare notes on our boats.
I agree that we need to find a location more central to the eastern fleet. I wish that there were something we could do to better include the western contingent. Perhaps the west coast guys can organize a similarly timed event and we can electronically link these somehow ?? In any case . . . Catherine Ann will plan on being at the mid-August gathering in the Trenton area. It would be great to have a "home base" in this area to host our event. Does anybody local to the Belleville/Trenton/Trent System have a suggestion ??
We do need to accomodate those of us who can travel fast and those of us who travel at a "more leisurely" rate.
If there is a "slow moving" contingent coming west up the St Lawrence, please pick us up on your way up the Bateau Channel towards Kingston. :-)

Rob
wayne

Post by wayne »

We would love to join in by boat the timing is great but as we both work we have start and finish limitations.Does anybody know how far towards Trenton on the trent we could get from Lindsay in a 2 Day trip averaging 8 MPH. It ould be helpfull to know this to determine how far up the Trent woul work for us.
Thanks Wayne
Terry

Post by Terry »

Wayne,
You would be doing well to make it to Hastings in two days. Approximately 100 miles and a dozen locks. The only good run is from Peterborough down the Otonabee,through Rice Lake and down the Trent. (41 miles).

David, I think your idea of a mobile Rendezvous is fantastic!

We could make it down to Trenton by car for a day and would love to host everyone somewhere around Rice lake for a day or two on your way up and down. Our home port is Harwood (almost half way through the lake and close to the mouth of the Otonabee). Harwood has a very well protected 75 ft. public dock with 8 feet of water and we have a great place to anchor out only a couple of miles away. (Whisky Bay)

I'm thinking a big corn roast and party at our slip, we've got lots of room.

Here's a couple of cruising links to help everyone plan:
http://www.trentsevern.com/live_index.cfm
somewhat dated, but very thorough:
http://www.cruising.ca/trent/index.html
Attachments
Harwood on Rice Lake.jpg
wayne

Post by wayne »

Hey thanks for all :D your input we have decided that if the Rice Lake thing happens we will try to make it there. :D
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Ruth and I have decided to make the trip to Georgian Bay - or, even down to Lake Simcoe to meet with others. We hope to sell our boat, but, we are not willing to reduce our price. We will spend more money on the Outdrives, redoing the upholstery, paint etc. Then at least $4000.00 for our 3 or 4 week vacation trip. At our age we wil not be venturing out into big seas [as we might well have done in the past]. Should we be needed at our business it would not be too tough to someone come and pick us up.
I don't know how many Alcan/Alwest there are in the Georgian Bay, Lake Simcoe area, but there must be a few.

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
wayne

Post by wayne »

We also would travel to Lake Simcoe as well as head south
limitless

Post by limitless »

Limitless, will be venturing the North Channel this summer. We have scheduled for launch first week in August, and should be back end of two weeks. Also looking forward to doing some long weekend runs around the bay. Hopefully we will see some other Alcan boats! We will keep our eyes open!! Looking forward to hopefully joining one of your rendezvous soon!
Our home base is located at St.Amants Marina, Britt.

Britt is a cozy hamlet of 350 year-round residents located 100 km south of Sudbury and 65 km north of Parry Sound on Highway 526 off of Highway 69. It is at mileage 62 from Parry Sound on Sheet 3 of GEORGIAN BAY Small Craft Chart no. 2203 and 65 miles east-south east of Killarney along the small craft route on Chart no. 2204. Trail C of the OFSC trail system crosses the Magnetawan River or Byng Inlet at Britt.
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Fellow Alcan Boat Enthusiasts

Well... we have been thinking abou this for a while and have decided to follow through. We are planning on having the 2009 Alcan Boat Rendezvous somewhere near Trenton on the weekend of August 15, 16. The actual location is still to be determined, but I would like to make the date relatively firm. The key gathering will be the afternoon of August 15th. We expect to start up the Trent-Severn on Sunday Aug 16 and hope to visit with the various Alcan boat owners and enthusiasts as we progress along the waterway. We will publish a float plan in the coming weeks which will hopefully allow us to connect with the most people en route. Regardless of the position of your boat, please consider this an invitation to the August 15th get-together somewhere near Trenton. We will publish more specific information closer to the event.

Best Regards
David
Terry

Post by Terry »

The crew of the good ship MasterCard III will definitely be joining you in Trenton, albeit by land, for the 15th.

Again, we extend an invitation for you and hopefully the whole flotilla to join us in Harwood on Rice lake on your way up and/or down the Trent Severn.
Plot a course for 48º 08.59' N 78º 10.90' W
swcyr

Post by swcyr »

Greetings all
Cadaruca III and her crew are planning on being at the
rendezvous. We are looking foreward to meeting you all.
Trenton is very close to our home port of Presqu'ile landing
at Brighton. It is not very likely that I will get the time off
work at that time for any cruising up the Trent.
Best regards.........Stephen
Robert Stork

Post by Robert Stork »

I will not be able to drive the boat to the rendez-vous, since we just got into Toronto. But if it is anywhere near or on the Trent, i would love to drive over and say hi to all and bring some photos at best.
regards
Robert Stork
Alcan 290 -Little Blue Whale
Toronto Island Marina
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Congratulations to MASTER CARD. Splendid effort and a promotion of ALCAN/ALWEST.
Ruth has had an eye operation scheduled for 17 August. No more putting it off! Our plans to travel to the top end of the Trent have been necessarily cancelled. We wil, however, travel to the Rendezvous by car. We will get there on the 10 of August and have a day to look around. Any hotels or motels recommended in the area?

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Rob

Post by Rob »

So, is there a location and time planned for August 15th ??
Unfortunately, due to some pressing family considerations, Catherine Ann will not be able to travel to this year's rendezvous :( .
If there is still a gathering planned in the Trenton area, we could attend by land.
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Rob

What are we going to do without the star of the show?

C'est la vie. We will be happy to have your company by land. Of course, my planning abilities (or lack thereof) are showing again this year and I don't have the precise location identified, but I think we should stick with a plan similar to the last two. Location aside, we will look to meet around 11:00 Saturday morning. Buster will serve a lunch of hamburgers and sausages on the BBQ. We will do an afternoon cruise in the area and based on concensus either do dinner ashore or at anchor. No particular plans for Sunday, but for people staying in the area we will get together in the morning and spend some social time. I would like to start our trip up the Trent mid-afternoon on Sunday.

I will nail down the location in the next day or two. Suggestions are welcome.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.
David
Rob wrote:So, is there a location and time planned for August 15th ??
Unfortunately, due to some pressing family considerations, Catherine Ann will not be able to travel to this year's rendezvous :( .
If there is still a gathering planned in the Trenton area, we could attend by land.
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Plans are solidifying!!!

Fraser Park Marina is located on the Trent river at the SW end of the Dundas St. bridge.
Latitude 44° 6' 7"
Longitude -77° 34' 28"
Phone: (613) 394-2561

We have made arrangements to have a section of the marina reserved for us and they are flexible regarding the number of boats that arrive.

Cost: I think it is $1.25 per foot, but I forgot to confirm. I will follow up on the price.

As per my previous messages, we plan on starting our trip Thursday AM and expect to be in the Trenton area Saturday morning around 11:00.

I will send out an email with more details.

Cheers
David
wayne

Post by wayne »

We will try and make it by land
Low Risk

Post by Low Risk »

Hello Everyone,

It's been a very busy difficult time, these last few weeks...my mom passed away at the end of June. As an executor I still have so many things to take care of...

We will certainly miss seeing everyone next weekend. Ron & I look forward to seeing the photos of 2009 Rendevous.

Cheers,
Wendy
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Ruth and I will be there, Ruth would like to bring a Cheese tray with Crackers [fancy], disposable plates, forks and napkins?
We will arrive in Trenton on Friday, stay overnight Friday and Saturday and return to London on Sunday. Ruth will have a Catarac removed on Monday.
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Terry

Post by Terry »

Count on the crew from MasterCard III being there (by land). We'll bring a snack and some cold Trent River pop.
The invite is still on for anyone traveling up (or down) the Trent to join us for a day/night or two at Harwood on Rice Lake.
There's a free town dock there big enough to hold two, or four+ with rafting, Alcans. We'll treat to a Bar-B-Q and corn roast if anyone is staying the night.
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

Terry

Bring yourselves along with the snacks and Trent-pops on Saturday. The boat-count will be low, but the boat-owner count will be high. There have been a number of family issues that have prevented the usual crowd from bringing their boats. More a matter of circumstances than location. We expect to be up in your area on Monday or Tuesday of the following week, so we will expect a hansome meal.

Looking forward to the event
David
Terry

Post by Terry »

If we're looking for a place for some dinner... Tomasso's, just a block away from the marina is reported to one of the best spots in Trenton. We've never been there but hear rave reviews from everyone who has.
http://www.tomassos.ca/index.asp
Dine in or take out.
It's here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 08937&z=18

Let them do the dishes :lol:
wayne

Post by wayne »

We will be there by land for Sat and stay over to Sun Ellen says she will supply fruit and veggie tray Should arrive around noon.We are looking forward to meeting everyone

Wayne and Ellen
The Georgina Marie
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Ruth and I want to thank all who attended the Rendezvous. It was most unfortunate that we needed to leave early. Everything was so well planned and the food was something to behold. Of course, we stayed long enough to get our fill.
The trip back to London was a bit unusual. We were accustomed to using Highway 407 to bypass Toronto. Well it was CLOSED. All the traffic were diverting to Highway #7. A bridge repair resulted in one-way traffic with the attendent backups. We got our fill of the Toronto Crawl. But, we were still so glad to have made it to Trenton and to see all our Alwest/Alcan friends.

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN