DINGHY LIFTING BOOM

For general discussion about Alcan boats
GOVAN

DINGHY LIFTING BOOM

Post by GOVAN »

I had a rigid inflatable dinghy with a 4 HP motor. I had built a lifting boom with a 110 volt winch. This unit worked well and if I still had a dinghy I would keep it. However, I don't intend to buy another dinghy. So I intend to remove the boom from the Sundeck. It is mounted to a nylon plate to mate with the curve of the sundeck edge. The base is held by bolts screwed through the nylon plate into the deck. The unit is made from aluminum tubing with a stainless steel insert in the boom, as well as some bracing to the sundeck guard rails. With my dinghy and the 4HP YAMAHA , and gas tanks, the weight to be lifted was about 130 pounds. The dinghy rigid bottom was aluminum.

Is anyone interested in acquiring such an item?

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Low Risk

Re: DINGHY LIFTING BOOM

Post by Low Risk »

Hi Brian,

Would this unit be able to lift a dingy up to the very top level (above the wheelhouse)? I have a nice sized "cap" on our "Low Risk" Alwest housecruiser where the dingy would sit nicely. Presently it is way too much effort to even attempt to store it up there.

I kind of get the design picture. Do you have any photographs that you could send over to me? What are you asking for the boom unit?

PS We are looking forward to meeting with you and your wife again this year at the proposed 2009 summer rendeview.

Regards,
Wendy & Ron.
"Low Risk"
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

I don't have clear photos of the complete boom setup. I will try to get to the boat next weekend and take some photos - weather permitting. I suppose $200.00 would be a very fair price? I believe the winch cost $600.00.
Brian - SIOUX

BRIAN F. GOVAN
Rob

Post by Rob »

Excuse me for jumping in here . . .

I noticed that the the pictures of Sioux in the Registry Section show the dinghy crane from several different angles.
It looks like it would have enough reach . . . if moved forward on the upper deck.

A significant consideration (for an Alwest) is how you plan to fasten this crane to the wooden upper deck.
A secure attachment will not be quite as easy as with the all aluminum Alcan structure.
Not that it can't be done . . . . just needs a bit of planning :)

Rob
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

We originally mounted the lift at the forward end of the Sundeck on the starboard side. It worked well there but a change was made in the dock posts so that we wanted to lower and lift the dinghy from as far aft as practicable. It is now mounted aft on the Sundeck.
A substantial deck plate would be needed.

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Low Risk

Post by Low Risk »

Sound reasonable to me. Is it currently still on the housecruiser? If so, perhaps we'll meet you there and save you the trouble of picture taking. I believe you are in the London area? We are in the Oakville area. My phone number is 416.877-3484. Give us a call to set things up. It will probably be a challenge (as per Rob's comments). One of the information bits we learned at rendeview 2008 is that a housecruiser is a lifetime work in progress. Who knows, perhaps it will end up being one of the design/strategy workshop sessions (??) at the rendeview this summer.

Wendy & Ron
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Wendy&Ron - great idea. However, this weekend weather will not be kind in this area,
I will get back to you when I think we could see something besides snow!

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Wendy and Ron McCrae of LOW RISK drove to Port Stanley today to pickup the Lifing Boom.
We had a very nice visit. Wendy and Ron toured our boat. Then they were our guests at a local restaurant. The meal was excellent and the company was most pleasant.
It is so nice to talk ALCAN/ALWEST with another Member of this group.

Rulth and Brian Govan SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN