Engines, advice on

Selling boats, engines, etc.
Dale

Engines, advice on

Post by Dale »

I've got an Alwest 37 with two Buick 6's (1970?). One runs fine, the other is lousy. Blew a piston (probably) last week. I am very interested in advice or thoughts on what to do. Options seem to be:

A. Get the one engine rebuilt. (I have another old engine that may provide some parts, but otherwise parts may be hard to findI have no information on whether the engine has already been rebuilt in the past.

B. Repower with gas or diesel. Used, probably (cannot imagine affording new). What kind? Where to obtain?

I'm dealing with a marina that does good work, but has difficulties with scheduling and the accuracy of estimates. There is another marina that could do the work, but charges more.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Gene Beuthien
Rob

Re: Engines, advice on

Post by Rob »

The 231 cu in Buick V6 was a very popular engine in both cars and boats of that era. I would expect that both parts and rebuilding knowledge are still widely available. I have always had the best luck with taking the entire engine to a mainstream engine rebuilder for a complete overhaul. Partial disassembly and repair by a general mechanic never gets you the same quality of rebuild.

Repowering is the big question between lots of money or buying someone else's problems. Boat engines are always replaced for some reason . . .

Now . . . If those Buick engines are coupled to OMC drives (as they likely are), this could force replacement. I have been told (not verified info) that parts for these are no longer available.

Rob