VOLVO OUTDRIVE BELLOWS

GOVAN

VOLVO OUTDRIVE BELLOWS

Post by GOVAN »

The bellows on both my outdrives need replacing. There are two rubber belows on each outdrive. In the past I have just left it to the Marina mechanic to replace. After getting their bills for work last summer I think I would like to investigate getting the bellows replaced with the help of a few fellow Yacht Club Members.
The question is "how big and difficult a job is it to replace these bellows"?. I see on the Web that I can buy them quite cheaply as opposed to Volvo dealer prices.
Can I save any money or should it be left to the mechanic??

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Rob

Re: VOLVO OUTDRIVE BELLOWS

Post by Rob »

Hi Brian,

This job is well within reach of "do-it-yourself" (in my opinion)
I have done this a couple of times (and am planning to do it again this Spring)
This job should really be "regular maintenance" . . . at least every 4 or 5 years in fresh water.

There are 3 rubber parts between the outdrive and the attachment flange.
1) the exhaust bellows, 2) the drive U joint bellows and 3) the cooling water intake hose.
All 3 parts should be replaced when you have the outdrive off.
The original Volvo replacement parts also come with new hose clamps.

I would be cautious about using other than original Volvo parts. This is not the place where you want to
save a few dollars with unknown quality parts.

This is also the time to carefully inspect and lubricate the main univeral (inside the upper boot).
If there is any looseness or play at all, replace the joint.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Brian,

Further thoughts on this topic . . . . .

I have been looking through my factory Volvo Penta and my Clymer Volvo Sterndrive Shop Manuals on this topic.
The factory Volvo one assumes that you already know how to do this and is not much help. The Clymer manual does a half way decent job of explaining this procedure . . . .but is not completely clear.
What I can do is provide a detailed description (with lots of pictures) as I replace these parts on my outdrives this coming Spring. There are no special Volvo tools required . . . at least not the way I do it :)
The weight of a Volvo outdrive is less than a 10 HP outboard, so no special lifting devices are required.
So . . . I can pull this task ahead on my Spring "list of things to do" and by early April will create a Tech Section article, on this website, on how to remove and reinstall a Volvo outdrive (with new bellows and hose).

Rob
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Rob - thank you. That would certainly most useful!! Where will you buy the necessary parts?

Brian
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Brian,

I get my Volvo parts from Durham Marine Services in Pickering (905-420-6559), but any Volvo Marine dealer will likely have these parts in stock as this is a common service procedure. There are a few minor differences from year to year on these parts so you need to be specific on the vintage of your outdrives. The most significant (that I know of) is that some versions have a one-way valve in the exhaust bellows.

Rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've just sorted through latest PN updates with Durham Marine Services, and have my parts on order.
Drive Bellows PN 876294 $74.73 ea.
Exhaust Bellows PN 876631 $77.03 ea.
Intake Hose PN 897599 $75.55 ea.
If you do not have a local Volvo Dealer, talk to Shirley at Durham Marine Sevices (905-420-6559)
I will try to get this task accomplished as soon as parts are in, so will have the "how to" tech article done by early April.
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Rob - thank you very much. That information is a most useful start. I check my outdrive serial numbers and model with your supplier and make sure they are same items as needed,

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Rob - thank you very much. That information is a most useful start. I check my outdrive serial numbers and model with your supplier and make sure they are same items as needed,

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Brian,

I have completed the replacement of the outdrive bellows and intake hose, as discussed.
Weather delays caused this to be a little later in the spring than I had originally planned.
This forum will not let me attach a file describing the process, so I will email it directly to you,
and a copy to David for posting to the tech section.

BTW, the Volvo Penta website has an archive section containing owners manuals for most older engine/outdrive combintions. This is a most useful reference for specs, capacities, etc.

Good luck, if you are still planning to change your own outdrive parts. It is not that difficult of a job :)
No special tools required. Let me know if you have any questions.

Rob
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

Rob - thanks again. My email is govan@look.ca
What did you use to lift-off the outdrive?

Brian SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Brian,

I will email the file from my home computer this evening.

The complete outdrive can be removed without any lifting equipment.
It is first pivoted free (much more description to follow on how to first disconnect everything)
while standing on its skeg on secure wooden blocking and then it can be carried away.
It weighs less than 100 lbs . . . . about the same as a 9 HP outboard.
GOVAN

Post by GOVAN »

At last the Outdrives are back on the boat; necessary repairs made. It was quite a job. Following Rob's detailed instructions was great - until the unexpected happened. Starting with the mounting pins - they would not come out for love or money. Finally got a guy with the appropriate tools to pull the pins. They had some corrosion on them. We got them turned on a lathe before reassembly. The U joints we checked and did not need replacing. It was the bellows that gave all the problems. It took the skills of several fellows to curse, pull, push and wiggle to get the new bellows on. My buddy never wants to see a Volvo outdrive again. Needless to say he is a Merc Man. I teased him with the line "be a jerk - buy a Merc".
I would never have considered doing this job without the detailed instructions that Rob provided. I can't thank him enough for his care and detailed instructions.

Brian - SIOUX
BRIAN F. GOVAN