Advice on Anchor

LDoliner

Advice on Anchor

Post by LDoliner »

My wife and I have an Alcan 370, First Date that we bought this summer. Among it's many needs is a decent anchor. We intend to put a power winch - like Rob's. But that's in the future. More immediately, our local Kijiji has for sale
"New 35lb Kingston anchor with 24 heavy duty chain and 200 plus feet of 5/8" double braided rope." This sounds like the right kind/size of anchor for us, and the price ($400) sounds right. I'm concerned, however, about issues like matching it with a winch. Any thoughts?

Gene B.
Rob

Re: Advice on Anchor

Post by Rob »

The common chain sizes for anchor windlasses are 5/16 High Tensile and 3/8 Triple B.

Originally, Catherine Ann had a 45 lb CQR anchor with about 30 ft of 3/8" chain. In moderate winds, this would drag.

First I changed to a 20 kg (45 lb) Bruce style anchor which is the most popular and best holding in the 1000 Islands.
This improved holding significantly.

Then I changed to 150 ft of 5/16 High Tensile (plus the matching power windlass) and 5/8" triple braid rode.
This chain is significantly lighter than the 3/8", but still more than strong enough.
There is nothing like having a lot of chain, to keep your anchor set securely.
This amount of chain gives me 7:1 in 20 ft of water. The rope rode has never been wet.
There is nothing that I would change about this latest setup. We are now as comfortable at anchor, as we are at the dock.

A new 20 kg Bruce style anchor is going to be about $150. 5/16 chain about $1.50 per ft. 5/8" Rode about $1.00 per ft.
For that $400, I would go with this anchor, 100 ft of chain and 100 ft of rode.