Paint

LDoliner

Paint

Post by LDoliner »

Hi! I'm repainting my rails and my main decks (all aluminium). Anyone have a recommendation as to the best primer and as to the best topcoat?
Thanks, Gene
Rob

Re: Paint

Post by Rob »

Hi Gene,
I have had good luck with Interlux Marine Paints (as have others) but they are expensive.
A few thoughts that I might offer . . .
Paint will not stick to aluminum oxide. The aluminum must be sanded right before painting. Aluminum oxide is the naturally occuring self protection that forms on bare aluminum. Even aluminum that looks sanded, dull and ready for paint will have this oxide layer if it has not been sanded recently.
Interlux (and other manufacturers) will advise a surface primer like Viny-Lux Primewash. This is ideal if absolutely all of the old paint has been removed. If not, this Primewash may soften and lift the original paint. I have used InterProtect 2000, which is a two part primer, over a combination of bare sanded aluminum and solid well sanded old paint, with good success even without the Primewash.
For the top coat, I have stayed with the one part Brightside paint because it can be used at any working speed, right out of the can. Others have used the two-part Perfection paint which probably creates a tougher surface but working time has to be part of the plan, once the two parts are mixed. Interlux has Interdeck deck paint and non-slip additives for their other paints to make them suitable for decks, but I have never used these products.
Rob
LDoliner

Re: Paint

Post by LDoliner »

Once again, thanks for your help.