Shifter/ Throttle Control

wallyg

Shifter/ Throttle Control

Post by wallyg »

A two hole strap in my throttle linkage control broke. I believe the control is the orginial for my '69 Alcan 37 with Volvo 250 and Buick V6 powerplants. The throttle cable is free to move so I don't think it was the root cause of the failure. I suspect wear in the dash mounted control. I can machine a new part (there's no ID on the unit so it'll be a custom job), or replace the entire unit ($$$). I worry that this failure is a harbenger of more to come and I may be better off replacing the unit.

Anybody been in this situation?

Walt
Rob

Re: Shifter/ Throttle Control

Post by Rob »

Hi Walt,

I have the original throttle/shift controls that came with my spare Volvo straight 6 and 250 outdrives that came from another Alcan. (Same outdrives but different engines). You can have the parts you need from this unit, if it is a match. Can you attach a picture of your throttles.

My boat has separate Morse brand levers for shift and for throttle . . . probably because these have to feed through to the same units on the flybridge.

Rob
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

Hi Rob,

THanks for the offer. I went ahead and replaced the old control unit with new Teleflex CH5600P twin lever single function controls. I had to make a second cutout and install the second unit but that went pretty smooth. The cables look like they'll work so after a couple of hours I am off to the races.

I think I'll like the separate throttle and shift levers. Plus if I ever add a flybridge I'll be all set.

Thanks again for the offer. Now it looks like I have a used duel function control to offer to anyone for spare parts.

Regards, Walt
markhunt912

Post by markhunt912 »

Hi Rob,
I need these spare parts you have got. I would need full unit so please tell how much it will cost me if i take it from you. I don't have much budget but you can tell me. Please Reply As Soon As Possible because its kind of urgent..

Thanks in advance
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Mark,
I will dig these out and post a picture, to see if these are the shifters that you need.
Rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thumper Throttles 1.jpg
These are the original throttles from Thumper . . . an Alcan 370.
There does not appear to be a manufacturers name or model number (that I can find)
They seem to be complete and fully functional with no corrosion (these would never have been in salt water)
The plastic buttons on the top (to allow opening the throttle without engaging the shift) are in rough shape.
It will cost me the best part of $100 to package these up and ship to Texas from Canada.
They are yours for $100 if you want them.
Rob