Swim platform

LDoliner

Swim platform

Post by LDoliner »

Hi!
I want to build a swim platform for my Alcan 370. Rob has pictures of a beautiful one on this site, but I don't have access to a table saw, etc. I was thinking of either using 1/6 & 1/4 mahogany OR Starbright -- both of which can be cut with power hand tools. My main problem is with the brackets: where do you get supports with the right angles? Or is there any easy way to make them? Any ideas?
LDoliner

Re: Swim platform

Post by LDoliner »

Opps! I meant with the correct angles, which, on the 370 transom, is not a right angle.
Rob

Post by Rob »

From the Alcan 370 drawings on the website, it looks like the transom angle is about 8" in 48" which would be 9.5 degrees.
Thus, the bracket angle for a level swim grid would be about 99.5 degrees. I would certaily measure the boat exactly, before building the brackets. A laser level would be a great tool to assist with this. Align the laser with the waterline and then set the brackets to be parallel with this line.

Something to think about is that the transoms are not exactly straight and flat. The swimgrid should not be designed to fit tight to the transom. Several other builders have had problems with this.

WRT materials . . . my second wooden swim grid is again deteriorating. It is a constant battle because the swim grid is always wet. My next one will likely be a stainless or aluminum frame, perhaps with easily replaceable teak strips.

Rob
LDoliner

Post by LDoliner »

I hate to sound ignorant, but how do you go about building the supports? What do you use for stock? Is this something I can do myself without welding equipment? Or do I need to get them manufactured? Thanks for the advice. By the way, Rob, my brother has just finished a bowsprit from your design, and I am hoping to get it this week.

Gene