Larger Roof for the Pilot House

Rob

Larger Roof for the Pilot House

Post by Rob »

Picking up on David's 2nd project idea . . . .

In 1993 I was seaching central Ontario for an Alcan/Alwest.
I snapped the attached picture of an Alcan (at Hurst Marine near Ottawa, I think)
This boat was not for sale, but I was intrigued by the molded fibreglass roof extensions, the bow thruster and the wooden handrails. Who knows, maybe this is where my handrail idea came from !
I also really like that bow thruster idea! . . .this is still on my "list of things to do".

Does anybody know where this boat is today ???

Rob
Attachments
Alcan with Sidedeck Roof.jpg
WaterCottage

Re: Larger Roof for the Pilot House

Post by WaterCottage »

Wow, can you say windage?

Jay
Rob

Post by Rob »

Good point . . . . that probably drove the need to install the bow thruster :-)
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

I remember seeing the same boat about the same year. I think it was in Pirates Cove near Hurst.

Let me be clear about my own roof idea. It is nothing quite so huge. Keep in mind that Buster does not have a flying bridge. My plan is to extend the roof over the foredeck much the same way as some Alcan/Alwest boats came from the factory. I would also extend the roof out over the walkways, but only to the back of the pilot house. I would, however, extend the roof just a little aft of the pilot house to protect the rear windows from rain. The current roof projects maybe 6", I would add another 3 or 4".

Lots of room for the next project: Solar Panels.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I did understand that your plan for Buster was not as grand as what is shown in the picture.
The picture was only intended as a reference for what someone else had done to extend the roof out over the side decks by way of what looks like a molded fibreglass "add-on" piece.
Is your plan to add to the existing roof or to replace it completely ?
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

I am toying with replacing the roof completely. I can't think of any good reason to keep the weight on the boat. The other factor on Buster is that the roof is quite thick. It adds about 5" to the height of the boat. I could do the same thing in aluminum in less height and less weight. Only remaining issue I can think of is insulation. Wood is better than aluminum in that regard.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I would agree that replacing the entire roof would make the most sense to have strong overhangs without (too many) extra supports. Even with an aluminum skin, you are going to need some internal structure (be it wood or aluminum) which provides space for insulation . . . which would also be a good idea.