Ideas to get your freinds involved

For general discussion about Alcan boats
dpearson

Ideas to get your freinds involved

Post by dpearson »

Folks

The registry has been growing slowly over the last few months, but is still a small percentage of the Alcan/Alloy/Alwest boats in the world. I would like to figure out how to get the word out to the rest of the boating world that we are interested in learning more about the the boats out there. If you know anyone with one of these boats, please coerce them into registering their boat. If you have ideas about how to get the word to a larger audience, please let me know.

David
Terry

Get the word out...

Post by Terry »

How about a short letter of introduction, encouragement to join and a link to the site. We could send it out to all Marinas in Canada and ask if they would forward it on to any of their (our) boaters. The lists are easy to come by (i.e.) http://www.marinasontario.com/marinas_list.asp?reg=1 and even if only a few of them passed it on and a few of their customers responded, it would be a start.
Dave, your pretty good with words so how about a quick note that would cover your intentions and that would also be worded right to just forward on. To the Marina owner/operator it's only a click of a button.
I've got a little more time in the winter months and would be more than happy to help compile an emailing list of marinas and yacht brokers.
All that being said, I'm always on the lookout for any more of "us" and keep sending out emails to those I've met but have not yet registered.
Any other ideas out there?
Rob

Post by Rob »

What if we added this website address to our boat "business cards"
(with David's permission of course)
We have these cards made up with a picture of our boat and our names and email addresses that we give to those who we meet in our travels.
Tucking one of your own cards under the windshield wiper of an Alcan/Alwest/Sea Villa/etc would be like a personal invitation to come and visit this eclectic group of similar minded individuals.

BTW, I saw a 42 ft (like 'Bout time but with a flybridge) off Camelot Island in the St Lawrence last weekend, but was at anchor and could not catch their attention.

Rob
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

I love the idea of business cards. I created a card for myself with the line drawing of an Alwest, but I can not find the file. I will publish it as soon as I find it. I have access to printing services for my business. I will see if they can do something more professional for the casual user.

I recall a previous suggestion to create a letter to the Marina operators and I think it is time to do so. I will write an introduction and look to the various enthusiasts to spread the word.

David
dpearson

Post by dpearson »

I forgot to respond to the thought of including an alcanboats.com link on your business cards. I totally concur and I think I can up the ante a little bit. I have been somewhat diligent in naming the html files after the boat. This means that the registry entry for Catherine Ann is actually http://www.alcanboats.com/catherine_ann.htm You might think about just putting the full URL on a business card. That way, a recipient might first check out your registry entry before discovering the rest of the site. If I have mangled the boat name in the URL, I would be happy to fix that. An example is "Little Blue Whale" where the current file is "littleblue". I will take a look at current registry entries and fix them up over the next week or two. I thought this might be a good approach. To make it better, I would be happy to publish additional information associated with your boat. If you thought you might like additional links from the registry page, that could all be included. No charge for the first 200 registrants:)

David
Robert Stork

Post by Robert Stork »

I agree that the business card is a big first step. If you are making some for the site, let me know.
This summer i would go over to the few boats we saw, and where possible encourage and tell them about the website. But to leave a card with the address promoting it would be very helpful. Bits of paper get lost. The card could also be left at every occasion with the dock master/owner when filling up underway. How about leaving such cards with the lock operators? The students get board going in circles and they begin to recognize boats by the second week. They could yell down and drop a card in the passing boat.

robert